Mommy_Again is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I need a delicious cornbread recipe

I am willing to put a *little* effort into it, but I don't want to be mashing cornmeal, if you know what I mean. Last time I made it I used the Jiffy mix (can't get easier than that) - it was OK but I think I overcooked it a bit. Just wondering if there is anything better out there. Thanks!
    DS 2003
    DD1 2009
    DD2 2011

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: I need a delicious cornbread recipe

Here's my cornbread recipe. It's a southwestern cornbread. It's from Sunset Mag. No mashing required :-).

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    3 tablespoons sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2Â large eggs
    1 cup buttermilk
    About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter or margarine
    1Â can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
    3/4 cup (3 oz.) coarsely shredded jack cheese
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder

Notes: For bread that is sweeter and more tender, use 1/3 cup of sugar in step 1.

1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Stir green chilies and cheese into egg mixture. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.

2. Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth. In a small bowl, combine chili powder and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; sprinkle over batter in pan.

3. Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 25 minutes (20 minutes in a convection oven).

4. Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula. Serve hot or cool.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

if you add 2 eggs to the Jiffy mix it comes out better. My sil also adds a small can of corn for a more authentic taste.

Cook's Illustrated did ratings of cornbread mixes, and thought Jiffy mix was actually the best. Here's their version of homemade cornbread though (just saw them make this on America's Test Kitchen but have not tried it myself.):

Southern-Style Cornbread (from http://americastestkitchen.com/recip...=983&iSeason=5 )

"Unlike its sweet, cakey Northern counterpart, Southern cornbread is thin, crusty, and decidedly savory. Though some styles of Southern cornbread are dry and crumbly, I favor this dense, moist, tender version. Cornmeal mush of just the right texture is essential to this bread. Though I prefer to make cornbread in a preheated cast-iron skillet, a 9-inch round cake pan or 9-inch square baking pan, greased lightly with butter and not preheated, will also produce acceptable results if you double the recipe and bake the bread for 25 minutes.
    Makes one 8-inch skillet of bread.

4 teaspoons bacon drippings or 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 cup yellow cornmeal preferably stone ground
    2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup water (rapidly boiling)
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1 large egg beaten lightly

1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Set 8-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon fat (or vegetable oil) in heating oven.

2. Measure 1/3 cup cornmeal into medium bowl. Mix remaining cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in small bowl; set aside.

3. Pour boiling water all at once into the 1/3 cup cornmeal; stir to make a stiff mush. Whisk in buttermilk gradually, breaking up lumps until smooth, then whisk in egg. When oven is preheated and skillet very hot, stir dry ingredients into mush mixture until just moistened. Carefully remove skillet from oven. Pour hot bacon fat (or melted butter) from the skillet into the batter and stir to incorporate, then quickly pour batter into heated skillet. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and instantly turn cornbread onto wire rack; cool for 5 minutes, then serve immediately. "

Cornbread from Self Magazine

1 c. yellow cornmeal
    1 c. all purpose flour
    1/4 c. granulated sugar (you can use splenda instead)
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 c. non-fat milk
    2 egg whites
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 15 oz can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
    1/4 c. finely grated monterey jack cheese
    1 4 ounce can green chiles (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper. Mix thoroughly with a fork, make a well in the center and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg whites and oil. Stir in corn, cheese and chiles. Pour liquid mixture into center of dry ingredients and stir until blended. Spoon batter into muffin cups (1 tbsp per mini muffin) or bake in a small baking pan.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default this is the best cornbread!

here are two great recipes. serve both with honeybutter (about equal portions of each stirred together).

first is a greatly improved and very easy version with jiffy. just add 1 16oz can of creamed corn to the mix and the suggested amount of egg, nothing more. cook as directed on the box.

the second is the best corn bread you'll ever have - no one eats it without asking for the recipe. it's a good thing i ate this recipe before i saw what was in it... if i knew there was cheese, i would not have tried it (thank goodness i didn't know!!)

Geri's Incredible Cornbread

cream:
    1/2 cup softened butter
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs

continue to stir in the rest:
    1 16oz can creamed corn
    1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
    1 cup corn meal
    1 cup flour
    4 t baking powder
    1/4 t salt

9 x 13 greased pan 300 degrees for 1 hour (check 5 min before done - toothpick should come out clean)

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: this is the best cornbread!

I used to work for a caterer and our chef used the jiffy mix, but added a can of corn and 1/3 of a cup of sugar. He said that it couldn't be beat!

This is basically how I make cornbread. I make it in a cast iron skillet. I LOVE Southern corn bread!

abigailsmom Guest

This is my super easy version that is actually quite yummt...

1.5 cups self rising cornmeal mix
    8 oz sour cream
    1 can creamed corn

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix and dump into a preheated, cooking spray-ed pie pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. It is done when a toothpick comes out clean.

Yummy and simple. I am sure that you could dress it up a little, but we like it just like that.

Robyn
    Mama to my precious, corn bread-eatin' Pooper

ykc Guest

If and when you're looking for easy, try the Betty Crocker cornbread mix (I like it better than Jiffy). It's a bit sweet, so not like real Southern corn bread. But can't beat it for fast and easy!