Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default OT: Holiday Brunch

We've been tapped to host the family Christmas Brunch this year, and I've been told not to make anything except the usual "brunch" of boiled ham and eggs and sausage rolls. This does not strike me as particularly brunchy, nor as a menu I'm particularly interested in making...plus I'm the hostess, so shouldn't I get to make what I want? But that should go in the bitching post...

Anyhoo, I need ideas on something I can make for brunch on Christmas morning, that will go with ham, eggs, and sausage rolls (DH gets to make those - it's his family). I'll probably make a monkey bread, but wanted to do something kind of light, more lunch than breakfast, and maybe with a bright flavor...but I can't think what this might be.

Thanks!
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: OT: Holiday Brunch

this is a christmas brunch tradition at our house, served with fruit, eggs and bacon/sausage and OJ

Ingredients
    16 frozen Rhodes bread rolls
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
    1 package butterscotch pudding (not instant)
    1/2 cup butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    Grease bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Butter bundt or angel food pan, place pecans or walnuts on bottom. Add dinner rolls, frozen. Sprinkle with dry butterscotch pudding.
    Heat butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. Pour over rolls. Cover with cloth and let it sit overnight (not in refrigerator.) Then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before removing from pan.

Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yummy! That actually looks like my recipe for monkey bread, except without the nuts and pudding...but I think I'll use yours for sure!

My mouth is already watering...yum!

ETA: I'm not sure what Rhodes rolls are - in case I can't find them, what size is each one, so I can get something similar?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Juliet,
    A friend of mine makes this - oh, it is DELICIOUS!!!! No surprise that you, too, make something so good (is there ANYTHING you can't do????) ;)

~Linda~
    DS 11/04

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hmmmm....I don't have any ideas on the lunchy stuff but I love this site for all things brunch personally
    www.bbonline.com

I make a make-ahead baked apple french toast similar to one on that site. It actually used to be up but the last few times I checked to link it in other posts it wasn't there? Anyway, it is easy and can be done in advance and baked the day of. Very easy.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Bridgeport is another brand. Get the unbaked frozen rolls (another monkey bread lover except I use 20 rolls and vanilla instant pudding mix).
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Last year I saw Sandra Lee make this beautiful Christmas Crescent Ring as breakfast fare on her Semi-Homemade Cooking show. It was so simple to make and went really fast (as in no left-overs it was so good). It's as beautiful as it is delicious, and makes a great treat to go with coffee, egg nog or hot cocoa after the ham and egg stuff...and the fruit is edible!
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30422.jpg

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._25301,00.html

You could make a turkey salad very similar to chicken salad if you have left over turkey from Christmas, mayo and dill pickles and put them on croissants as light sandwhiches (I know, it really depends on what you make...some do ham, some beef roast, some goose, etc).

I hope you find something that is pallatable to you and your family. It sucks when you can't even look forward to the meal b/c it seems old hat.

I second the Rhodes Rolls recipe. I made it once and it turned out okay...must have done something wrong, but it looks so good that I bet if you did it right it would be wonderful!

Larissa

Mommy_Again is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How about some sort of breakfast strata? Eggs soaked in bread, milk, cheese and veggies/herbs/meats of your choice, then baked. I know several recipes have been posted here in the past, but I can post a few if you can't find them- just let me know.
    DS 2003
    DD1 2009
    DD2 2011

For something light and bright:

Fresh Fruit With Lime Syrup

Prep: 20 min., Cook: 5 min., Chill: 2 hrs.

1 cup water
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon grated lime rind
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 cups red seedless grapes, halved
    3 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
    2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
    Garnish: fresh mint sprig

Whisk together 1 cup water and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Whisk in sugar, rind, and juice. Bring to a boil over low heat, whisking constantly; boil 1 minute. Chill at least 2 hours.
    Combine pineapple and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; garnish, if desired, and drizzle with chilled syrup. Serve immediately.

Yield: Makes 10 servings

Here is another favorite. This is absolutely delicious and so easy! It's another egg dish, but maybe you would like to substitute something...kids love it too. I cook it on a pizza pan. I'm not sure what a jelly roll pan is.

Sausage-and-Scrambled Egg Pizza

Prep: 5 min., Bake: 20 min., Cook: 16 min.

1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust
    1 pound hot ground pork sausage
    6 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
    1 (16-ounce) jar salsa
    1 (8-ounce) package shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
    Sour cream (optional)

Unroll refrigerated pizza crust, and press into a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
    Bake at 425° for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside.

Brown ground sausage in a large nonstick skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and pat dry with paper towels; set aside. Wipe skillet clean.

Whisk together eggs and seasoned pepper. Cook in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat, without stirring, until eggs begin to set on bottom. Draw a spatula across bottom of skillet to form large curds. Continue cooking until eggs are thickened but still moist. (Do not stir constantly.) Remove skillet from heat.

Spoon and spread salsa evenly over partially baked crust; top evenly with sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheese.

Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

Yield: Makes 8 servings

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Link to BBB fancy breakfast post!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search

We have loved ALL of the recipes from this thread! And I have to say that my recipes, the stuffed french toast and baked eggs always get raves from my guests (heck, even from my husband!). The baked eggs in ramakins with lots of cheese and asparagus and roasted garlic potatoes on the side is a great lunch-y sort of breakfast.

AND I want the monkey bread recipe, Petra!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast