Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Suggestions to get labor going?

Well...I'm closing in on one week post-date. I know, not unusual, especially with a first baby. Nevertheless, I'm house-bound and having trouble walking and beginning to get frustrated and depressed. I'm only taking two months maternity leave, so the longer the baby takes to get here, the shorter the time I have with him/her.

Any suggestions on how to get labor going? Baby is in position and I've been 1 cm for about 2 weeks. All systems are go, but baby is just too cozy! :)

TIA,
    Jessica

ribbit1019 Guest

Default RE: Suggestions to get labor going?

First, I am so sorry, I've BTDT, and don't wish to repeat it.

I tried everything that was recommended to me and nothing worked. Heck, I even consumed an entire box of Kraft Mac and Cheese covered in steak sauce because someone swore it worked. It doesn't.

I don't recommend Castrol Oil, that was the most uncomfortable day of my life, 41 weeks and sick, don't recommend it to my worst enemy. Plus, it didn't help anything.

Sex can be uncomfortable. I doubt it did anything.

Spicy foods is a crock too IMO.

I did do Black Kohash and Primrose oil to get my cervix to dilate. It did, to 4 cm, but I didn't go into labor until the next week.

Nipple stimulation didn't do anything for me either, but it did give me very sore nipples for the beginning of my nursing relationship with DD.

I had my first real contraction after walking around the zoo for 2 hours, practically being pushed by DH. (He wanted her out too!) But I didn't actually give birth until two days later.

I think baby will come out when it is ready, but it doesn't make things any less painful for you I know. Hang in there!

GL!

Christy
    "My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
    and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
    http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
    http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preg...act=Reg&CODE=0

marcywench Guest

I agree with the pp....no castor oil. It's wretched.

I used Evening Primrose Oil to ripen my cervix. It doesn't induce labor, though.

I couldn't find anything that reliably would work. My doula did suggest sex. I giggled at her and told DH that it was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. (I was far too uncomfortable just lying/sitting/doing nothing.)

I'll send good labor vibes your way!

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Infamous Eggplant Parmesan recipe

I know this has worked for at least one BBBer in the past! I never had the patience to make it when I was far enough along to need it.

Scalini's Eggplant Parmesan

Ingredients

3 medium sized eggplants
    1 cup flour
    6 eggs, beaten
    4 cups fine Italian bread crumbs, seasoned
    Olive oil for sauteing
    8 cups of marinara sauce (recipe below)
    1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 pounds of mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 cups of ricotta cheese

Directions

1. After you wash the eggplant, slice them into 1/4-inch thick slices. You may choose to peel the eggplant before you slice it. However, you may want to leave the skin on since it contains a lot of vitamins.

2. Place the eggplant slices on a layer of paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt, then cover with another layer of paper towels and hold it down with something heavy to drain the excess moisture. Let them sit for about an hour.

3. Working with one slice of eggplant at a time, dust with flour, dip in beaten eggs, then coat well with breadcrumbs.

4. Saute in preheated olive oil on both sides until golden brown.

5. In baking dish, alternate layers of marinara sauce, eggplant slices, ricotta, parmesan and Romano cheeses, until you fill the baking dish, about 1/8 inch from the top. Cover with shredded mozzarella cheese, and bake for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Scalini's Marinara Sauce

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons of chopped garlic
    3 Tablespoons of olive oil
    8 cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
    1 cup onions, chopped
    1/2 cup of fresh chopped parsley
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
    1/8 cup of fresh chopped sweet basil
    Pinch of thyme
    Pinch of rosemary
    One teaspoon salt
    One teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. Lightly saute the onions in olive oil in large pot for a few minutes.

2. Add garlic and saute another minute.

3. Add tomatoes and bring sauce to a boil, then turn heat low.

4. Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and let simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.

Recipe courtesy of John Bogino, Scalini's Italian Restaurant, Smyrna, Ga.
    www.scalinis.com

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
    Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

Sex worked for me. I know that it wasn't comfortable but I was in active labor 12 hours later. ;)
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

>I don't recommend Castrol Oil, that was the most uncomfortable
    >day of my life, 41 weeks and sick, don't recommend it to my
    >worst enemy. Plus, it didn't help anything.

Christy, I hope you tried CASTOR oil, not Castrol Oil (the fluid you put in your car). Otherwise, that would explain your sickness! Heeheehee! :D
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I agree with spicy food not working (I had a big Thai dinner the night DS was due, and he didn't arrive until 4 days later). In fact, I'm glad the night I went into labor I hadn't had much spicy food, as I threw up what I'd eaten for dinner the night before and it wasn't pleasant.

I bought a manual Medela breastpump and used that for 10-15 minutes at a time a few times a day the week before I was due. I definitely got cramps and very, very thirsty, but I can't say that it helped induce labor.

Most first-time moms deliver late, so hang in there...the baby will arrive eventually!

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Go for a walk so that you baby's head puts pressure on your cervix and you start dialating and thinning out even more.

My midwives had me walking every single day. I also took a walk around the block while in active labor!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

karolyp is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Call me crazy but I took it upon myself to start touch-up painting all the baseboards in my house that were scuffed up @38 weeks!!! I guess the nesting instinct was kicking in big time!! :) But, I'm thinking that all the bending over, squatting, and crawling around (can you just imagine what that looked like!!!) worked bc my water broke that night!!! On the same lines though, my friends dr.told her to scrub the floors and that would get things going, but alas she never tried it.

Also, I had a huge (not just big, but HUGE) bowl of vanilla ice cream before I went to bed...so maybe that did it??? :)

Good Luck!!!!

I feel for you. I remember that terrible 41st week. I walked non stop, ate spicy foods, had sex, etc. Nearly ever trick known. The only thing that helped me was going to the doctor on Thursday afternoon and being told I would be induced on Saturday morning. My water broke at 5 a.m. on Friday. I think I relaxed and that is what did it. My DH says it is because it was his last day to ever sleep in.

Good luck.
    Angela

Chelsie Lea 7/9/2004
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040709/3/0/1/+10/.png
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast