SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Recipe - Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

I was emailing this recipe to a couple of friends tonight and thought that I might pass it along to my BBB friends. This is an AWESOME alternative to pumpkin pie! Do not get me wrong...I LOVE my DH's pumkpin pie but you can NEVER have too much pumpkin this time of year. :) This is from "The Joy of Cooking Christmas Cookies". I have been making these for YEARS ~ always a hit with those who are not pumpkin lovers.

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE BARS 18 3x2-inch bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready a 13x9-inch baking pan.

Using an electric mixer, beat together until smooth:
    ½ cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
    ¼ cup (1.75 ounces) sugar
    Beat in:
    1 large egg
    Sift over, then stir to mix:
    1 ¼ cups (6.25 ounces) all-purpose flour
    With your fingers, press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. Bake on middle oven rack for 15 to 20 minutes, just until dough begins to brown. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
    Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth:
    1 pound (16 ounces) cream cheese
    ½ cup (3.5 ounces) sugar
    Mix in:
    2 large eggs
    Stir in until mixture is well combined:
    ½ teaspoon ground ginger (I used ~ ¼ t. of cloves and nutmeg instead)
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¾ cup (6 liquid ounces) pumpkin puree
    large pinch salt
    Using a rubber spatula, spread the mixture evenly over the baked crust. Bake on middle oven rack for 25 minutes, or until firm. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until completely cool.
    Mix together until smooth:
    ¾ cup (6 liquid ounces) sour cream
    1½ tablespoons sugar (I have used more, though)
    With a rubber spatula, spread the mixture evenly over the pumpkin. In a double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl snugly fit over a saucepan of water or in a microwave on 50 percent power, melt, stirring often:
    1 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
    Using a spoon, drizzle over bars. Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Cut into bars using a sharp knife. Wipe the blade clean with a damp paper towel between cuts. Store, airtight, in the refrigerator, for 2 to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.

(NOTE: If you do it this way, the chocolate design does not look as presentable after the bars are cut. I recommend cutting the bars and placing them on the serving platter before drizzling with the melted chocolate, then refrigerate.)

Happy Halloween/Holidays!!

ETA: I tried to attach an uploaded link but it was a MESS so I am trying to delete the link.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Recipe - Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

Sharyn, this looks wonderful! Try uploading the file again, but this time, check the "jpg" type for attachment type and it should work just fine. I want to see this pic...yummmmm... :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png
    Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Thank you for this recipe! We just went to Costco this weekend and bought a giant cream cheese loaf in anticipation of pumpkin cheesecake time! I will definitely be making these :9.

On the semi-homemade show on Food Network yesterday, they gave a tip to use the actual pie-filling from a pumpkin pie when creating stuff like this. Just buy a pumpkin pie and scoop out the inside. You can use the crust to crumble over ice cream or other treats. Makes it a bit easier. You still add the cream cheese and do the drizzle, but it's now "semi-homemade" and a lot easier!

Just a thought for those of you...like me...who are challenged when it comes to baking. :)

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That sounds SO good! I was looking for a good treat to bring for Julia's gymnastics teachers this week. Thanks!!

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04