LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Could this be a cold sore?

Over the past two days, my toddler has developed a sore on her upper lip. It started small, but now looks very much like what a "nursing blister" would in a newborn, and it is red and "weeping." Sorry if TMI! She has no other sores in or on her mouth, and does not seem to feel bad. She hasn't been sick lately. Do babies get cold sores? Does this sound like one? What is the treatment? We are headed out of town on vacation soon, and I want to treat this if we can. Thanks!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Could this be a cold sore?

Could it be impetigo? That spreads really easily...

luvbeinmama Guest

Default RE: Could this be a cold sore?

Doesn't sound like a cold sore to me. Especially when she hasn't any other symptoms and hasn't had one before. When I accidentally passed the cold sore virus on to my son he was sick and had a fever, got a ton of cold sores, his gums bled. In short it was horrific. It took at least 2 weeks to get through it. The cold sore blisters have clear liquid in them but do not weep as far as I know until they are healing up. Babies don't get cold sores unless they have the herpes virus (symplex 1, I believe, not the genital one).