redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default UPDATE w/ GRATITUDE: Any home remedies for cold sores?

I figured it was to late to try any of the remedies thay you all suggested but then I felt the second wave coming on. The second wave for me consists of my entire lip surface being covered, the surronding area being swollen and perhaps a breakout near my eye. (I cried thinking about going to preschool grad in that state.)

I went to the HFS and got the L-Lysine and Lemon Balm and I thwarted the cold sores. I am absolutely amazed!!!!! I have tried so many products and home remedies...

I am going to get a lower mg of L-Lysine and take it to prevent future outbrakes. I AM SO THANKFUL!!!!!!

I have a whopper. Ever since giving birth to my dd I get them once a month. I HATE them. I have tried over the counter and prescription meds, toothpaste, vinegar, bleach, tea bags, tea tree oil and vitamin E. Does anyone have some other ideas?

The worst part is telling my kids "no kisses." http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/ignore.gif
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Any home remedies for cold sores?

Homeopathic sepia is recommended for cold sores. There are also apparently some dietary things you can do-- upping your intake of legumes, brewer's yeast, wheat germ, and fish and cutting out chocolate, peanuts and almonds. Lemon balm cream has also been shown to help. It's a natural antiviral. So is elderberry, and so I wonder if taking elderberry extract might help. I was also just reading that St. John's Wort essential oil applied to the blister is apparently very helpful.

HTH!

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...haracter39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you, thank you! How do you know all of that?? I have tried wheat germ and brewer's yeast. Do you know where I could boy lemon balm cream or elderberry? Health Food Store??

Thanks again.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

luvbeinmama Guest

Add a L-Lysine supplement to your daily regimen. DS's teacher swears by it and I am trying it myself. Also, Target sells a lip balm called Herpecin-L that helps a bit. Unfortunately, I passed it on to DS and it was the WORST two weeks (especially since I was feeling sooooooo guilty about it). His gums were bleeding, he had the sores, it was sooo awful. So be EXTRA careful around your kids.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, the health food store should have those, or you can order them online. Try the sepia, too. These are suggestions from natural / alternative health books and websites that I use pretty often, and some of it is just stuff I've picked up along the way. :) It interests me, so it tends to stick. And the lysine comment is correct. The foods I mentioned are high-lysine foods. Lysine seems to discourage breakouts.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...haracter39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

parkersmama Guest

Jessica, my dad and I both suffer from cold sores. He is a pharmacist and says that the best OTC med is Abreva. Have you tried it? It really works for me. I use it as soon as that first tingle happens and it often stops them in their tracks!

Kieransmom Guest

Absolutely. Lysine is amazing. I take it as soon as I feel one comming on and it's awesome.

Michelle
    Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03