Thread: molar misery

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default molar misery

DD is cutting four molars, has a bad cold, and is also recovering from strep throat. In a word, she's miserable. Is it safe to give her Amoxicillin, ibuprofen, and Dimetapp at the same time? I would call the ped's office to ask this, but they were closed today. Does anyone know? Also, how long does it take for them to cut molars????? Her gums are a mess, and I know she's in terrible pain. Thanks!

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: molar misery

I know that Amoxicillin and ibuprofen are fine together, and I would think that Dimetapp would be okay, too. You can also call whatever pharmacy is nearby, and the pharmacist will be able to tell you for sure. Also, the medicine cabinet section of www.askdrsears.com might have some info on that. Hope she feels better! Abigail is cutting her first molar now, and it's miserable. :(

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ilies/knit.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

Thanks so much, Rachel! I hope Abigail feels better soon, too! We are doing a lot of frozen bagels and extra nursing here. "Whatever it takes to survive" is my motto!

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Absolutely. And "this too shall pass" is a big favorite here. :)

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ilies/knit.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm certainly not a medical expert, but I'm fairly sure that all three of these are safe together. DS has had many ear infections combined with severe infection and the doctors always tell us to do the Dimetapp with the antibiotic. I think ibuprofen is ok to toss in there.

We've got severe teething issues here too. I think we're keeping the makers of Motrin in business. :)

I know what you mean! I feel like I'm at Target every other day, buying more Motrin!