etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default how to tell if molars are coming in?

how do their gums feel? i've never felt teh back of her gums until now so i don't know the "difference" but she is SOOOOO cranky lately. i mean really cranky. nothing seems to help. she's been runny nose also and fingers in there a little more. when do molars typically start coming in? i just gave her some motrin and she almost immediately seemed easier (stopped crying) although she fought the medicine like a bear. that's normal these days. she used to take meds so easily.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

COElizabeth Guest

Default RE: how to tell if molars are coming in?

James started having visibly swollen gums from his molars at about 15 months, and the last one is still coming through now, at 18 months. I'm sure the timeframe varies quite a bit, though, so it's certainly possible she is getting them now. The fact that Motrin helped certainly supports that theory.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Around one DD was cranky, runny nose (I swear the pressure from these big things gives her a runny nose - each time a molar was cutting through she had a runny nose) and she always had her fingers way back there.

Hang in there, it will pass!!!
    Lisa

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Tammy,

I'm so glad you asked this, because I have been wondering the same thing. My DD is 13 months old and is acting just like you described Lauren. I can see that her lower gums are swollen, but I don't feel anything breaking through. I think she has a cold, but I also suspect that her molars are moving up. I think it will be a long ordeal . . . Good luck!