trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Has anyone had to have surgery while pregnant?

A couple of nights ago I woke up in excruciating pain. After a bunch of tests yesterday, and a not-so-gentle ultrasound by an evil, tactless perinatologist, it was concluded that I have a cyst on my ovary that had twisted and then twisted back. It's septated and big enough that it is going to have to be removed. The question now is when. The goal, of course, is to wait until after I deliver, but if it twists again, that will not be an option. I didn't quiz my doc about it enough(and I sure as heck wasn't going to ask Dr. Evil), and I really don't know what all would be involved in an oopherectomy (sp? -the ovary is toast as well) while pregnant. I know there would be additional concerns because of the baby, but from what I gathered, the surgery itself is more difficult than the laproscopic cystectomy I had on the other side a few years ago.

I've been looking on the internet at everything from ovarian cyst to ovarian neoplasm, with quite a few things in between, and have come up with nothing helpful about dealing with it while pregnant. All I have found is that it's more difficult.

I figured in somewhere in this community, somebody else must have either had to deal with something similar, or know where to look. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

OH! And for the record, Little Miss is doing great! At 31 weeks they are already estimating her weight at 4 lbs 2 oz.! If only she didn't confuse my ovary with a soccer ball!

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Has anyone had to have surgery while pregnant?

I don't have any advice or resources, but I do know someone who had a cyst that had to be removed during pregnancy, a co-worker at my previous job. Hers happened very early on in pregnancy though, maybe 8 weeks or so. She had some pains, but the doc didn't really do much about it until she woke up in excruciating pain one night and had to crawl to the phone to call her mother to come get her and take her to the hosptial. The ovary had twisted around and was cutting off the blood supply (I think) and she did have surgery that night. But I don't think they removed her ovary, just the cyst. I can't remember how they did the surgery (I think either vaginally or laproscopically). We were all worried that she would lose the baby being so early in the pregnancy, but she recovered in a couple of days and the rest of her pregnancy was uneventful. I hope you can hold out until the baby arrives, and good luck with everything!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

votre_ami03 Guest

Jeanne, I had to large cyst during my pregnancy w/Nolan, but they eventually went away on their own. I am sorry I don't have any other experience with it. I know they can be painful & I hope you don't have an more prob's & they just go away! Best wishes.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

starrynight Guest

I have no advice or experience but wanted to wish you well with the removal. I'm sorry your in pain!

Jeanne-

Not a lot of advice here, only sympathy.

I guess if push comes to shove, they could do a spinal and it wouldn't affect the baby as much as general would.

Last week I was having horrible pain and they had to rule out an ovarian tortion. I feel your pain with those evil ultrasound probes!!

Feel better. And congrats on Little Miss' weight!!

Hugs

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

I had a similar experience when I was a teenager (not pregnant) and I will agree that it is the worst pain I have ever felt. Labor pains were nothing compaired to that horrible feeling. In my case the cyst did cause the ovary to tourque and I now have large scar that looks like I had a cesarian. The ovary lost blood, died and had to be removed. That was many years ago thought and I'll bet they refined the technique since then. I have had several smaller cysts since then and they are just monitored.

I would vote for talking to your OB. Pregnancy is scary enough on its own sometimes and I could and would concoct worst case scenarios while staring at the wall in bed at night. I bet your OB knows what would happen in case surgery was needed and probably has done it before.

I know it hurts and I am so sorry this has happened, but if it was really bad, they would have gone ahead with the surgery.

Good luck. I'll be thinking about you!

jubilee Guest

When I wasn't pregnant I had an ovarian cyst rupture and bleed out as well as twist. It was awful, and they thought I would need surgery, but we waited a few days and the bleeding stopped so I was blessed! I can only say I understand the pain and wish you the best,