Thread: Baby Acne

Default Baby Acne

DD has red pimples on her cheeks...they say 1 in 3 babies get baby acne...have any of your babies had it? How long did it last? I've tried just water alone and water with mild cleanser...they sometimes lessen but then intensify...DD is 4 weeks old...

sweetbasil Guest

Default RE: Baby Acne

Jamie,
    Here's a recent thread discussing the same problem- seems like that 4 week time is a prime time for the acne to appear.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/839.html

HTH :)

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yep, she's at just the right age. They'll go away on their own. You don't need to do anything special for them, and in fact, it's better just to leave them alone. Baby skin is so sensitive. I found that Abigail's was better within 2-4 weeks.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

DD had major baby acne starting when she was about 4 weeks old. And then the cradle cap outbreak started too! Talk about attractive!

This too, as almost all less than great baby issues, will pass with time. Everything cleared up after a month or so. We just used warm water washcloths. Like your mom told you not to do with your own pimples, just don't pick at them! (So tempting, isn't it?;) )

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ours were gone by 6 weeks. They looked terrible, and I freaked out, but the beautiful baby skin does return! We just used warm water and a washcloth to sponge her off twice a day.

Logan had that at about the same age. Breastmilk cleared it right up overnight. I just squirted some on her face and spread it around and it was all cleared up by morning, I kid you not.

My mom was visiting at the time and she was amazed too. She said "that is magic stuff".

I also used breastmilk when I accidentally scratched her cheek with my ring the night before my in-laws were coming to see her for the first time. Great, I thought, they will think I am a terrible mother. But it was gone by morning.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
    Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Sophie had it also. It freaked me out because it all appeared in literally 20 minutes. I thought she was having an allergic reaction to something. Nope. Just acne...

My ped told me that if it started to look a little "sunburned" to put some 1% hydrocortisone on it.

I rubbed a little Cortaid on and everything was gone in two days.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04