Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Why can't people walk on the right side of the hall????

Seriously, is it that hard? Wasn't everyone taught to walk on the right side of the hallway or stairwell? Why do I have to turn the corner walking on the right side only to have someone spill their breakfast on me and look at me like I ruined it for them????

This too is also a huge ordeal in the mall where it is abolute mayhem in every direction! Can't we all just be a bit more civilized and maybe then I won't have to smell like someone elses' egg and cheese all day!

Default RE: Why can't people walk on the right side of the hall????

You know this annoys the heck out of me too. And the egg and cheese smell must of really added to the fun.

Ditto the sidewalk. Why do they walk on the wrong side or down the middle and then give ME a dirty look?! Or worse, knock into me as though I were invisible.
    Jessica

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

>Wasn't everyone taught to walk
    >on the right side of the hallway or stairwell?

Well, honestly, no. I've never heard of that as a rule, or even as a suggestion (scratching head).

Sorry someone spilled their food on you though! Hope the rest of your day went better! :D

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
    (100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

Yep, this drives me nuts, too! It would definitely be much easier for everyone if people could remember to walk on the right side. :)

Sorry you smell like egg & cheese now. Good to eat, but not good to wear. Gross. :)

How about those people that decide to walk really slowly in a giant herd (like out shopping with the whole fam-damily) and take up the whole darn sidewalk. This really drives me nuts.

DD 2004
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2014 finally!

Clearly, you did not attend a really crowded junior high. . . . LOL.

katiesmommy Guest

I've never heard of it either, but I attended a school where there were less then 100 kids in my grade. Maybe that's the difference.

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Its like traffic. :) You're supposed to walk on the same side you'd be driving on when in a long, crowded, bustling place. (Mall, airport, school, etc.) Just a general rule that's supposed to make things a bit less chaotic.

This is interesting - growing up in the UK I was always taught to walk on the right (at school) because it is the opposite to the side we drive on there. If you are on a road with no sidewalk you are safer walking towards oncoming traffic (so to speak) because you can see if there is something coming and can avoid it if it doesn't avoid you. I read this morning that joggers who have their back to the traffic are twice as likely to die as those who face it. My school obviously thought it was safer to instill general 'walk on the right' instinct in us.

I have to say that I had never thought that the rule would apply in places like shopping malls. I'll have to see what other people do around here.
    Lindsay

DD 12/06
    DS 08/09

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Huh, that is interesting. It was never, ever a formal thing I've learned anywhere - not school or anything. (Walking into oncoming vehicle traffic is what we were taught though.)

Just a general noticing that "in" doors are usually on the right, "out" doors on the left.

At the airport, etc. when I'd pan ahead and see people walking on the right, it just seemed like it was "like traffic" to me. :) Definitely at CROWDED places it seems a good system so people aren't just willy nilly.

Its sooooo annoying at airports when you get one person trying to go the opposite way through all the people and all their luggage. At a no-so-crowded mall, it probably doesn't matter much any which way. :) My mall has these stupid stairs and ramps every few yards. One side is stairs the other side is ramps, and they alternate. So, the "traffic" rule is pretty hard to enforce when you are pushing a stroller or are in a wheelchair when you have to zing back and forth constantly. grrr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast