Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default UPDATED: Talk to me about Playsilks

UPDATE:
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, it just made me more determined to get some sort of playsilks, even if they aren't real silk. So, I went to JoAnns today since they had a 50% off coupon (sale day and it was CRAZY) and found this fabric:

http://tinyurl.com/d5gs3

I bought enough for about 6 scarves of various sizes for $8. They will all be the same color, but I plan on picking up other colors later. It feels similar to the Dupoini (sp?) silk they had there, but lighter and thinner. Since I've never seen the Playsilks in person, I can't compare, but hopefully these will work.

--------

I'm thinking that some sort of scarf collection would be a good addition to our toys. The cost of silk just seems so high, even if I buy them and dye them myself.

Do you think that they need to be silk? Is there something special about silk (other than it feels nice)?

Does anyone know a source of non-silk scarves that would be cheaper?

Can I just get silk or silk-like material at JoAnn and hem it to size? What should I look for?

Is silk washable?

Thanks!

lizamann Guest

Default RE: Talk to me about Playsilks

The silk is washable, but probably not machine dryable.

As far as I know, the playsilks come out of the Waldorf Education tradition, which emphasizes the use of natural materials, which is why they all seem to be silk. I personally like the natural materials idea myself, but I think a child would get equal play value out of a scarf made of some other material. I think you could certainly get a non-silk alternative at JoAnn for cheaper that would be just as fun. Just don't have any Waldorf types over for playdates!

So basically I think it is an aesthetic and philosophical choice, not a practical one. For instance if you have no problem with plastic toys, then I think a synthetic play scarf would do just fine.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE Guest

Default Juliet here makes BEAUTIFUL ones

honestly I ordered mine and they were hear instantly. My boys wear them often!!!!!!! Even my 6 year old sported his proudly at the zoo and down the streets while on vacation.

Juliet is a love to do business with and she is a wonderful BBB member!!!

I'm busy raising spiderman, batman and jedi warriors (and these are capes to them)...I can't tell you how often these are around my children's waist, neck etc...

THEY LOVE THEM!!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29955.txt

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29956.jpg

Thanks!

While I do prefer natural materials, my budget does not :-( We have our share of plastic here, since 75% of our collection is hand-me-down. I like to get open-ended play and natural materials whenever possible, but if I can get a larger collection, I may get the non-silk.

dules Guest

I have some polyester ones that I bought when we started Music Together classes. They are OK, but a little scratchy and, well, polyester-y. So I ordered a couple silk ones from Juliet and both DD and I are in LOVE. We played with them nonstop for about 2 hours the day I took them out, and she uses them every day for something - blankies for dolls, etc.

I find the price to play ratio really reasonable. I was a bit in doubt so I started with two but now definitely want more.

Best,
    Mary

Default RE: Juliet here makes BEAUTIFUL ones

Thanks for the pictures Neve! What size are those?

I have been lusting over the ones on Juliet's site, but budget-wise I just don't know if I can swing it. I just tend to have more time than money here. :-)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Another rave for Juliet's silks. We have the rainbow set and they get used a LOT. They definitely have a lot of play value and will last for years. They are great for a playgroup kind of thing too.

You could try stalking some 2nd hand stores for women's silk scarves that are less expensive if budget concerns are there. I think there is play value even in synthetic ones but part of the charm of them IMHO is the feel of the silk itself and the floatiness of them which isn't the same with other fabrics. Or maybe start with just one or two and see if DD likes them.

We also recently picked up a fun thing at World Market. It is a rainbow colored ribbon attached to a stick, like a rythmic gymnastics type ribbon if you are familiar. DS was outside the other day with a bike helmet on, otherwise totally naked, and was shaking his ribbon like crazy. I tried to snap a pic but he was on to me and abandoned the idea before I could get a shot ;)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I got a bunch of white silks at Dharma Trading (http://www.dharmatrading.com) (at least, I think that's the right web site... just a happy customer!) and some of their Procion dyes. I got enough to make six sets, each having six silks, two each of three sizes (30", 35", and 40"?). One set will be for DS, the others for gifts. It came to maybe $25 per set this way -- it got cheaper as I added more sets. (Dharma discounts for bulk -- if you get at least 12 silk or cotton items, you get the 12+ price for each -- ditto on higher counts (I was able to get the 36+ price this way).)

I'm short on time to dye them, but it took about 2h for one color.

And yes, they're washable. Might depend on the silk you use, but I've washed my dyed ones at least twice.

I would have loved to order from Juliet, but I could afford the price of 6 do-it-myself sets. I couldn't have afforded to buy that many from her! (And I love the idea of gifting them!)
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Cheryl, do you need soda ash and some other chemicals to do the dyeing? I have a front loader, but I'm considering trying to dye them in the washing machine, but the instructions I have are for a top loader. Does anyone have instructions or dyeing things in a front loader?

ETA: Nevermind, I found this site:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/washingmachine.shtml

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png
    Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have soda ash, synthrapol (detergent), milsoft (fab softener), and casolene oil. I think those added about $15 to the total, but they're included in my per-set estimate.

And now that I've done some, I know that the smallest unit of procion dye goes a long, long way, and same with everything else. Thank goodness I did get the small sizes! (I'll be able to do more in the future for just the costs of the silks, which will be good if I ever have time!)

We also have a front loader, so I've opted for vat dying. That actually makes everything go a much longer way -- a washing machine is about 8 gallons of water, and you only need 1.5 gallons for a half pound of fabric -- which is about 6 silks. (The 40" square ones were closer to 0.6lb, all the others were under half a pound.) Soda ash and casolene oil and salt (plain) are all measured by the amount of water. I think the dye is by the fabric, though.
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast