Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default please share your favorite soup recipes

my absolute favorite is french market soup, especially now that it's so cold! f.m.s. is very hearty and worthy of a holiday meal (we often do it for x-mas eve or new year's). it's also a great make ahead meal - the flavors are even better the next day. this soup cooks for about 5 hours so plan on a day at home. we serve it with crusty bread or corn bread (i'll post a great recipe) and a green salad.

French Market Soup

These instructions are guidelines - add the ingredients you like.

Wash and drain mixture of dried peas and beans and lentils (a pound or two dried), then soak overnight. (I just buy a mixed bag.)

Rinse and drain, then put in big pot and add
    3 quarts water,
    1 ham hock (or shank if you want to pick off the meat and add it to the soup)
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1TB parsley

Cover and simmer about 3 hours

Get out the food processor, you can save time on the veggies and on the kielbasa sausage (i cut it in half length-wise and end up with thin nice thin half circle pieces..

Add:
    1-2 cans tomatoes (stewed or whatever)
    1 can tomato sauce (8 oz or larger)
    2 chopped onions
    6 stalks celery, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    bunch of chopped carrots
    any other veggies that you think would be good
    freshly ground pepper to taste
    6 chicken bouillon cubes

Simmer, uncovered 1 ½ hours

Add
    - 1 pound thinly sliced German kielbasa style sausage
    - 2 or more boneless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces (easier to chop up when slightly frozen)

simmer another 30+ minutes

Add:
    ½ cup or more red wine (or whatever)
    a couple shakes of tabasco is always nice

garnish with lots of fresh parsley and dollop of sour cream.

Default corn bread to go with french market soup

here are two great recipes. serve with honey-butter (about equal portions of each stirred together).

first is a much improved and easy version with jiffy. just add 1 - 16oz can of creamed corn to the mix and the suggested amount of egg, nothing more. cook as directed on the box.

the second is the best corn bread i've ever have - no one eats it without asking for the recipe. it's a good thing i ate this recipe before i saw what was in it... if i knew there was cheese, i would not have tried it (thank goodness i didn't know!!)

Geri's Incredible Cornbread

cream:
    1/2 cup softened butter
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs

continue to stir in the rest:
    1 16oz can creamed corn
    1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
    1 cup corn meal
    1 cup flour
    4 t baking powder
    1/4 t salt

9 x 13 greased pan 300 degrees for 1 hour (check 5 min before done - toothpick should come out clean)

this can be made ahead of time and reheated

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That recipe looks great. I'll pass it on to DH, the soup maker in our house. I can't think of one favorite recipe, but he has made many from this book over the past few years and they have been great:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...86883004&itm=1

The Daily Soup Cookbook
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

Urquie:

Your soup recipe sounds delicious! I have a couple of questions regarding ingredients:

What other veggies have you added?

Do you use 28 ounce cans of tomatoes or the smaller size?

Would a cabernet or merlot work for the red wine (especially since I will have to finish the bottle )? What would you substitute instead of wine (not that I would want to)?

I am going to make this for our Christmas Eve dinner and want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

Kidlet '01
    Kidlet '03
    Kidlet '06

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ohhh..I LOVE soup...

Caramelized Onion and Portabello Soup
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/106175

I've used cremini's with success. Sooo yummy!

I have a few more that I'll try to find. I am going to keep an eye on this thread!!

Papa al Pomodoro
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31170,00.html
    Florentine Meatballs
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31169,00.html
    Last edited by SASM; 12-19-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Default funny you should ask... and i love the smiley!!

i just made this tonight! i'm going to freeze it to use for x-mas eve dinner. last minute change of plans is bringing the party to my house and i'm hosting x-mas brunch too so i need something really easy - aka defrost!

- what ever is in my fridge that i want to use up - green beans, asparagus, peppers etc. i must caution you, my 8qt pot gets filled to the brim -literally. so don't add too much extra stuff (i usually do three big chicken breasts and extra onion, carrot and celery though... i just can't seem to stop myself). it's a good thing it simmers uncovered for 90 minutes before adding the meat, otherwise there wouldn't be enough room for the everything!

- the recipe refers to the 14.5oz can - i use two of them.

Would a cabernet or merlot work for the red wine (especially since I will have to finish the bottle )? What would you substitute instead of wine (not that I would want to)?
    - any red that you like to drink is perfectly fine. i wouldn't replace the wine with anything, just go without. i forget sometimes and it still tastes great!

here's a tip from my aunt who said she just made her best batch in 20+ years. she cooked everything up to the point of adding all the veggies and simmering them for 90 minutes. the next day she added the meat and wine and finished cooking. this would be a nice way to get some of the cooking done ahead of time. i'm not sure how this would truly be different than cooking it all the day before. perhaps it's because her family is so big they've never had any left to eat the next day

Quote Originally Posted by momto2boys
    Urquie:

Your soup recipe sounds delicious! I have a couple of questions regarding ingredients:

I am going to make this for our Christmas Eve dinner and want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

Kidlet '01
    Kidlet '03
    Kidlet '06

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Mmmm.

Urquie--
    Your French Market Soup recipe sounds delicious! I will have to try making that this week or the next! Thanks for sharing.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can't take credit for this recipe, I got it from a mom-friend. But it is awesome and I make it at least 2 times a month! It's so easy!!!

White Chicken Chili:
    1 lb. chicken breasts, cooked and cut into chunks (You can also substitute 2 undrained 15 oz. cans of chicken breast if you're really feeling lazy!)
    2 cans northern white beans (undrained)
    1 can mild ro-tel
    1 cup cream, half 'n half, or any kind of milk (it IS yummy with cream, but if you want to cut fat it is still great with lowfat milk- that's how I make it and it is not as creamy but still very yummy!!)
    1 TBSP cilantro (optional)
    1 tsp cumin

dump into the crockpot for 4 hours on low or bring to a boil on the stovetop and then simmer for an hour. Top with some crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Serve with cornbread (I'm going to try the above posted one next time). Yumm-o!!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Here are some more...

Turkey Posole ~ we used 2-10 oz cans of Herndez Green Salsa instead of tomatillos and shredded leftover Thanksgiving turkey. This soup is AWESOME and would easily be great with a rotisserie chicken. DH said that it was the BEST soup that he's had ina while.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._32380,00.html

Red Wine Beef Stew with Potatoes and Green Beans ~ we add a ton of other veggies, too.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._30755,00.html
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Default Thank you, Urquie!

I am sorry it took me so long to post my thanks but two of my kidlets have been quite sick. This is THE BEST soup I have ever made!!! DH and I had it for Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas day lunch and continued eating it for the rest of the week. I just made it again last weekend and DH is taking the last couple of bowls for lunch this week.

Thanks again for sharing this delicious recipe!!!

Kathy

Kidlet '01
    Kidlet '03
    Kidlet '06

Quote Originally Posted by urquie
    i just made this tonight! i'm going to freeze it to use for x-mas eve dinner. last minute change of plans is bringing the party to my house and i'm hosting x-mas brunch too so i need something really easy - aka defrost!

- what ever is in my fridge that i want to use up - green beans, asparagus, peppers etc. i must caution you, my 8qt pot gets filled to the brim -literally. so don't add too much extra stuff (i usually do three big chicken breasts and extra onion, carrot and celery though... i just can't seem to stop myself). it's a good thing it simmers uncovered for 90 minutes before adding the meat, otherwise there wouldn't be enough room for the everything!

- the recipe refers to the 14.5oz can - i use two of them.

- any red that you like to drink is perfectly fine. i wouldn't replace the wine with anything, just go without. i forget sometimes and it still tastes great!

here's a tip from my aunt who said she just made her best batch in 20+ years. she cooked everything up to the point of adding all the veggies and simmering them for 90 minutes. the next day she added the meat and wine and finished cooking. this would be a nice way to get some of the cooking done ahead of time. i'm not sure how this would truly be different than cooking it all the day before. perhaps it's because her family is so big they've never had any left to eat the next day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast