Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What do you wish you would have known before your c-section?

I'm looking for helpful tips or heads up that might make my experience easier or less nerve racking. I'm really scared about having a section....and I feel like the more I know about what to expect the more relaxed I feel about it.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have had 2 c-sections (one UNplanned and the second planned). Really for me they weren't bad. I recovered well, enjoyed being able to spend extra time in the hospital -- my milk came in while I was there so got extra lactaion consultations which helped me get off to a good nursing place. There really wasn't anything I wished I had known b/c I had a c-section. I know the section seemed to take forever and I wanted to see the baby (expect complete labor and delivery is the same!).

HTH!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wish I had known...

that the nurse was going to shave my ENTIRE bikini area with a dry
    Bic razor. (I had done my own prepping before going into the hospital
    but they wanted a clean shave.)

I couldn't feel it because I already had my epidural but the look
    on my husband's face was priceless. He had sweat pouring off
    his chin.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've had 2 unplanned and 1 planned.

For the first, I wish I knew I could tell them to not strap my arms down. For the first 2, I wish I had more of my prefernces followed. For #3, I got to see and touch him right away, as everything was fine.

One thing I wish I had told DH - no one should be allowed to hold the baby before ME! Sure, they need to hold them to move them, etc. But, after everything was done and DD was all wrapped up and DH was holding her, the OB asked to hold her and DH let her! I was so mad. I wanted to be the next person, not my OB! We were still in the OR, and I was just getting ready to be moved.

I wish someone had told me that I could request pill meds instead of IV meds for after and that I could get the catheter out early.
    Kris

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have had 3 planned CS, starting with DS who was quite large (9 lbs, 3 oz., 23 inches and breech). A few things I learned along the way...

• They may strap your arms down in a cross pose. I do not know if it is necessary.
    • To deliver DS (my big one) it took significant tugging, pulling and pressure, much more than I expected.
    • You tend to get better care if you schedule such that you are in the hospital during the week, not the weekend.
    • I did my own prep for shaving (not necessary to shave entire bikini area); it may be worthwhile to ask how much prep is necessary.
    • It is wonderful to have hair cut, mani, pedi before the CS.
    • It is wonderful to be able to line up childcare for other DC in advance and otherwise prepare DC for the big arrival.
    • You can nurse the baby right away.
    • It may not be in your best interest to get the catheter out quickly. The night after DD2 was born, I was up the entire time with the sensation of having to pee. Up all night miserable.
    • Recovery was not difficult so long as you keep the pain under control (much more difficult to play catch up) and do not try to do too much too soon.
    • A planned CS is very well organized w/ very little stress IME.
    • CS babies are beautiful w/ nice round heads and no battle wounds which makes for great newbie pix!

Good luck and congratulations!

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I wish I had known...

that the nurse was going to shave my ENTIRE bikini area with a dry
    Bic razor. (I had done my own prepping before going into the hospital
    but they wanted a clean shave.)

I couldn't feel it because I already had my epidural but the look
    on my husband's face was priceless. He had sweat pouring off
    his chin.

Sorry to laugh at your expense but the mental picture is just hysterical!!!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I agree about the catheter....it is terrifying to have to get up and go to the bathroom, so I wanted to postpone as long as possible!

One other thing:
    I had no idea that they most painful part of the experience would be when they come in afterwards to "massage" (what a ridiculous term for this) your uterus. Some of the nurses are more enthusiastic about it than others, it hurts like hell!

I did not have my arms strapped down, that sounds scary!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You should ask about the shaving. I read an article a bit back saying they no longer advise shaving surgery patients because of the discomfort and increased risk of infection at the site. Clipping, maybe, but total shave would be something to speak up about.

Beth

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You should ask about the shaving. I read an article a bit back saying they no longer advise shaving surgery patients because of the discomfort and increased risk of infection at the site. Clipping, maybe, but total shave would be something to speak up about.

Beth

I've had 2 c/s, 1 emergency 1 scheduled. For the first, its all a blur. They shaved me (what is with that nasty bic razor?). I ended up getting a post-op infection. For the second, different OB, he d/n believe in shaving. No infection. To be fair, I also received IV antibiotics PRIOR to the 2nd c/s but not with the 1st (which cuts down on post-op infections). And, with the second, I was a high-priority infection patient too -- they took extra precautions with me b/c of my history (both deliveries were at the same hospital and the 2nd c/s was done by the head of Obstetrics).

With the 2nd, I asked to not have my arms strapped down, but other than that, let them do their thing.

Oh, and don't be afraid of the spinal/epidural. A new study showed that the risk in labor/c/s for them is less than 1/80,000 (the overall risk of them is something like 1/23,000, which is 10x less than previously thought).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    I have had 3 planned CS, starting with DS who was quite large (9 lbs, 3 oz., 23 inches and breech). A few things I learned along the way...

• They may strap your arms down in a cross pose. I do not know if it is necessary.
    • To deliver DS (my big one) it took significant tugging, pulling and pressure, much more than I expected.
    • You tend to get better care if you schedule such that you are in the hospital during the week, not the weekend.
    • I did my own prep for shaving (not necessary to shave entire bikini area); it may be worthwhile to ask how much prep is necessary.
    • It is wonderful to have hair cut, mani, pedi before the CS.
    • It is wonderful to be able to line up childcare for other DC in advance and otherwise prepare DC for the big arrival.
    • You can nurse the baby right away.
    • It may not be in your best interest to get the catheter out quickly. The night after DD2 was born, I was up the entire time with the sensation of having to pee. Up all night miserable.
    • Recovery was not difficult so long as you keep the pain under control (much more difficult to play catch up) and do not try to do too much too soon.
    • A planned CS is very well organized w/ very little stress IME.
    • CS babies are beautiful w/ nice round heads and no battle wounds which makes for great newbie pix!

Good luck and congratulations!
    ITA...

Yes, the strapping down is necessary. I was so freaked out by this and begged not to do it, but they would not do the surgery without it.

Get up and walk within 12 hours of the surgery...for some reason it cuts recovery time down.

Use the pain meds, they are there for a reason. You will heal better and faster if your pain is controlled.

No solid foods first 24 hours...my stupid hospital served me spaghetti with meat sauce....all I ate was the jello cup.

Avoid gassy foods.

Use the gas pills...air actually gets inside you during surgery.

If you are prone to motion sickness, warn the anethsiologist (sp??). I barfed, twice, after dd was born when they moved from the table to the gurney.

Nurse! Make arrangements with your OB in advance if you want to nurse right away.

Bring a pillow for the ride home to hold over your incision when you go over bumps.

Use antibacterial body was on the incision and air dry with blow dryer.

Remember, this is surgery....you have to be kind to yourself!!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast