Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default s/o how many holidays/vacation days/sick days do you/your DH get?

just wondering. i would add a poll but there would be too many options, and i'm lazy

i just started working last month. we get 10 holidays per year (8 federal + 2 floating ones we can choose), plus 4 weeks (20 days) vacation. I was pretty pleased with that, but then I recently found out sick days are part of the vacation days...so if I need to take a sick day it comes out of the 4 weeks. Bleh. i had to stay home yesterday with DS bc he was sick (and DH was OOT), and so that comes out of my vacation days which right now is still in the negative because of the holidays, and given i just started.

anyway, just wondering what is the norm. i know some places give sick days but only offer 3 weeks vacation per year, so i guess 4 weeks total is pretty good. at my last job several years ago we got 5 weeks vacation per year, but zero holidays (not even Christmas, etc) which still translates into less days than I have now. Anyway, I guess I should consider myself very lucky as DH has one of the most generous vacation day policies I've ever heard of, at least for a med/high level position....13 holidays, 4 weeks vacation, plus 12 sick days a year. When DS was born they gifted him an extra 2 weeks off. Granted, he's been at the same place for almost 15 years (!), and it's a federally-funded research center (more like academia than industry).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-23-2013 at 11:07 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My last company and DH's current company:

7 paid holidays
    1 floating holiday
    15 vacation days (after 5 years of employment; it was 10 days for <5 years; use it or lose it)
    8 sick days (use it or lose it)

My current company:
    12 paid holidays
    17 "personal days" after <1 year of employment (to be used however I like...covers sick days and vacation days; use it or lose it)

My current company is slightly more generous than my last company. Anyway, I feel like mine is pretty good...so I'd say yours is pretty good too I can't imagine having 4 weeks of vacation though!!! And then 12 sick days on top of that? That would be so awesome!

eta: I remember a similar poll a while back and I remember being shocked at how much vacation/sick time people got!! So now that I think about it...when compared to the rest of the BBB, maybe our PTO packages suck. LOL.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-24-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Do you mean on paper or in reality? I have no idea on paper.

In reality, the man went to work with a confirmed case of the swine flu and got a phone call from one of his bosses ON CHRISTMAS MORNING while on vacation.

I'm a SAHM so I have zero sick days and zero vacation days.

Catherine

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

8 regular holidays, 20 vacation days, 12 sick days. (plus a few random extra holidays, maybe 2 per year). but (thankfully!) this job is temporary.

one of employers i'm looking at offers 56 days off per year (combo of holidays, vacation and sick time).

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post

I'm a SAHM so I have zero sick days and zero vacation days.

Catherine
    i hated this part the most about being a SAHM. being sick or with a migraine and trying to take care of kids and/or always being the one to take care of sick kids were the worst. after yesterday i was just EXHAUSTED and this morning i was more than excited to send them off to school . After yesterday i found myself wondering how i managed to do this everyday for 3 years! for me, it is really taxing not being able to take a single day off, especially from something that is so physically and mentally exhausting.

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

5 paid holidays - if I end up working one, I believe it "floats" to another day off.
    5 weeks/25 days vacation - if I go to professional conferences though, it comes out of this time.
    0 paid sick days - can use vacation or unpaid time off - I think the company looks the other way if its a rare occurrence but if you needed a lot of time, or you took time off repeatedly, it becomes unpaid time off.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I work for the federal government and get the 10 federal holidays, 13 sick days and 13 vacation day. I will increase to 19 vacation days after 5 years but sick days is always 13.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have no idea how many DH gets. It doesn't matter because he never takes everything he's entitled to.

I'm a SAHM so I don't get vacation or sick days. I'm always on. I know I don't want to go back into the workforce so I'll just grumble and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MaiseyDog View Post
    I work for the federal government and get the 10 federal holidays, 13 sick days and 13 vacation day. I will increase to 19 vacation days after 5 years but sick days is always 13.
    Oh the good old days. I had been there seven years when I left to be a SAHM. In addition to this, we used to get bonuses in my office and could elect money or exta time off. I always opted for extra time off. Plus we were union so whenever I worked over 40 hours I accrued credit hours that I could then use later.

Catherine

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Current Job: 7 weeks vacation. 1 day/mo sick.
    Upcoming Job: 17 weeks off, plus 3 weeks vacation includes sick time. 2 weeks can be cashed at end of year if not used.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast