Default Question about shingles

My sitter just texted me that she went to the doctor yesterday and was diagnosed with shingles. She started meds yesterday and said it is a mild case. My DDs have chickenpox vaccine and DS has only had the first one. She said dr told her she is not contagious to those vaccinated or those that have had chickenpox. WWYD? I am fighting a horrible stomach thing that I caught from my DC and can't manage to think straight. My head is telling me that with just the first vaccine DS isn't protected enough.
    Thanks
    ETA: for clarification, she was supposed to sit for us tomorrow and Thursday.
    Last edited by AJP; 06-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Run it by your doc but I think you need pretty direct contact with the affected area on the shingles patient in order to contract chicken pox. So it may depend on your kids' ages, and what areas are affected on the sitter (location could affect the likelihood of them coming into direct contact with the rash)

With many vaccines, a very large percentage receive immunity from the first dose. The second is to catch a smallish percentage that didn't get immunity from the first dose. I had one dose in high school prior to the two dose recommendation coming out, and then was in a situation where it would have been difficult to get the 2nd (was working with kids including some who were immune compromised, etc.). My doc did a titer and I had adequate immunity from the single dose.

Run that by your doctor for reassurance and see what he or she says.

I hope you feel better. Stomach bugs are the worst.
    Last edited by brittone2; 06-11-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Thanks. We decided to skip her sitting this week. Don't want to pass the stomach thing on to her on top of what she has already.
    This stomach thing came out of nowhere and spread fast. I actually napped for the first time in forever!