Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I also struggle with chronic sinusitis and a year ago desperate to avoid abx is surfed the net and came across the recommendation to drink apple cider vinegar. It has worked like a charm. I chug it more frequently if I feel congested. It will eat the enamel off your teeth, so drink los of water. It is nasty stuff though.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Current recommended guidelines:

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/conten...d.cir1043.full

80% of people who go to their doctor's with sinusitis get antibiotics even though placebo studies indicate 70% get better on placebo at the same rate. Much of the emphasis is placed on trying to determine viral vs. bacterial source.
    Last edited by dogmom; 02-09-2013 at 11:26 AM.

I'm actually on another round of antibiotics for a sinus infection that developed after the flu and has just not healed. Dr. also gave me a nasal steroid spray and I'm rinsing with the neti pot daily. I find that helps a ton - just make sure you use distilled water (using tap water in a neti pot is dangerous and caused 2 deaths in 2011 b/c of an amoeba in the water) -- here's info on that and safe usage --
    http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm316375.htm

Hope you feel better soon - I know it's rough!

malphy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was very resistant to the neti pot and suffered many sinus infections, the last of which resulted in a hospital stay due to allergic reaction to abx. Since I began using the neti pot I have not had a sinus infection. I use saline spray to keep nose moist and use neti regularly. If I start to get congested I up the frequency of the neti pot. I also use plain mucinex to keep my secretions thin instead of sticky and goopy.
    Maggie
    dd 12/06

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3