Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How important are abx for a sinus infection?

I'm pretty sure I have a sinus infection. I have tons of pressure and I keep waking up (TMI alert) with snot in my eyes, ick. Plus DS3 was just diagnosed, so was my neighbor and so was my good friend. They seem to be "going around" in conjunction with this cold/flu thing that we're all sick with!

I just don't want to see a doctor about it but I'm wondering how crucial it is to get a script for it? I have lots of headachy pressure and congestion but am not too uncomfortable and since I'm not pg this time around, I can actually take medications that make me feel comfortable.

Would you go in? It would probably end up costing me about $30, $20 co pay and $10 generic abx.

TIA!

I woiuldn't. I take about 6 to 8 goldenseal root capsules when my sinuses are full. Within about two or three days, I'm as good as new.

I haven't had to see a doctor for a sinus infection in the 8 years since I learned about GS. It's a great herb!
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Well I know all our bodies react to infection differently but here's my take-I get chronic sinus inf. about every 3-4 months, I had one in Nov. and chalked it up to "here we go again".

By the first of December I was feeling HORRID - same green snot in my eyes, I took a roll of TP with me in the car bc all I did was blow it out, thought I would for once skip abx to give my system a rest.

DD had an early Christmas party at school and I had been really ill that week, I should have been in bed but didn't wanna miss out. I worked it and by the time I got home felt the feeling of "uh oh something is really wrong". Took a nap and woke with a 103+ fever and was shaking uncontrollably.

I called my ins urgent care and they were only open 30 more min and I have a 20 min drive...I don't know how I got there!

Soon as I walked in the doc checked me and said "honey you have pneumonia".

Spent the whole month of December and into January battling it.

If you are not better in the next few days and a fever won't go away - go get some!!!!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Following this thread. I had a similar question a few weeks ago. I felt worse and worse, finally went in for abx....the symptoms improved somewhat but never cleared. I am wondering if I have to go back or can just muddle through and hope time heals?

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Once they get full blown, you kind of have to do the abx. But, before it gets that way I sinus rinse everyday and it makes a huge difference, I get a lot less fewer infections and the ones that do get bad go away faster.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for weighing in. I just don't feel THAT bad yet, so I think I'm going to wait for a bit. I'll try some more home care (thanks for the recs on that) and just take it easy this weekend with a resolve to go in if I start feeling worse.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have always ended up needing to get the abx ... I was having recurring sinus infections the last couple of years and was determined to try to find something to prevent my colds from turning in the sinus infections. I bought Xlear nasal spray, it's saline with Xylitol and grapefruit seed extract. I have not had a sinus infection since I started using this spray. I also take elderberry, oregano oil and extra Vit C and D.

You could try getting the Xlear and see if it helps you clear it out. http://www.xlear.com/

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Following this thread. I had a similar question a few weeks ago. I felt worse and worse, finally went in for abx....the symptoms improved somewhat but never cleared. I am wondering if I have to go back or can just muddle through and hope time heals?
    I am in the same boat. Don't really feel like going back in....
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Default I went!

2 1/2 week + using natural remedies then over the counter stuff... and broke down and went to the Dr. Co-pay + Rx costs were WORTH EVERY PENNY! It was getting worse daily and I was missing out on life. I want to play with my kids and have a FUN time, I was not. i was blowing my nose, was stuffed up, talked funny, and a sore throat,... and then the nausea and fever came.

I should have gone earlier. I have been able to wear contacts today, a first for weeks! Started the Rx 2 days ago.

Another reason to go to the Dr was today I was scheduled to be a chaperone for a class trip. I was responsible for the care of kids AND I did not want to get them ill.

I am going to look into the spray mentioned. I have had 2 infections this winter so far.

Be well

I'm in the same boat with the sinus infection. I have chronic sinusitis so I know when I need antibiotics to battle my infection. Problem is I get yeast infections easily too so I try to hold off on taking antibiotics. I currently have a sinus infection and was prescribed amox two days ago but I still haven't taken it. I was hoping I could win the battle but its starting to kick my butt.

So my question is, sinus infection or yeast infection: which is worse??! I do overload on probiotics when I'm taking an antibiotic but sometimes it's not enough to keep the yeast away. I got a 5yr old and a 2yr old and am currently 6mos pregnant so not sure how much of a fight I have left in me. Should I just take it and risk the yeast infection that may follow??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast