Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

DH:
    10 Holidays
    20 days PTO
    sick time is pretty flexible and he'll usually take a handful of days per year

Me (work PT):
    6 Holidays
    18 days PTO
    0 sick days (if I work half a shift and then go home I get paid for the other half shift though)
    Unlimited unpaid time off - I use this freely, usually taking 1 day per week off, but this is only available as workflow permits so I have to call an hour or 2 before my shift to see if my request is approved. I just managed to piece together a week off using a combo of vacation and unpaid time off

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We both work in state govt. We get 9 federal holidays, 1 state holiday, 2 floating holidays (to cover Lincoln's birthday, and Columbus Day), and a personal holiday. So, 13.

Me:
    18 days of vacation per yr. (12 hrs. per month)
    8 hrs. sick leave per month (96 hrs. per yr.)

DH:
    15 days of vacation per yr. (10hrs. per month)
    8 hrs. sick leave per month.

We can carry over both sick, and vacation each year. Vacation is capped at 600 hrs. The number of hours you can accrue is based on the number of years in state service you had.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I got laid off recently but I was part-time at my last job so I got nada.

I don't actually know how much my husband gets. He gets a certain number of hours that can be used for sick days or vacation and then they throw in extra hours for holidays because techs don't get holidays off. He always has well over 100 hours saved up. Generally, he is right on the edge of maxing out his hours. When we had both girls, he was able to take a month off and still have 100 hours set aside. He should be hitting the the limit any time now so I see some days off in his future but of course, they are also asking for overtime help so he'd probably just be switching a scheduled day for an overtime day.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I work for the federal government and get the 10 federal holidays, 13 sick days and 13 vacation day. I will increase to 19 vacation days after 5 years but sick days is always 13.

This year I went from 13 days off to the 19 (it is actually 20 because they "gift" you with an extra 4 hours in the last PP to make it an even 20 days) and it is soooo nice.

And the bump up is at your third year of federal service, not 5.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs.../annual-leave/
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

3 weeks of normal vacation in addition to holidays. I don't know which ones are official holidays there, tbh.

He accrues comp time easily, as he always works more than 40 hrs a week, and when he travels, he racks up a ton. His company allows them to use this during the year...they are a small co, very relaxed about that type of thing, so he can go in late, leave early, take off to take the kids to the dentist, that type of thing using some of his comp time. By no means can he take all that he accrues, but his workplace is verrrrry flexible and accommodating. The owners use that flexibility themselves and it isn't frowned upon or anything provided work gets done, etc.. They also allow them to carry over 2 weeks of unused comp time to the following year, with the caveat that most of the time carried over should be used in the first quarter, when their business is a bit slower than the rest of the year. So he really ends up with 5 weeks PTO most years.

He can also work from home in a pinch, go in late if the weather is bad, etc. No real official sick days other than the accrued time, but that's generous enough that he'd never be able to use it all anyway in a typical year.

eta: He's coming up on his third year there. I don't think they add additional time, other than the accrued PTO changes depending on travel/hours put in each year, etc. They would not have a problem with him taking more time than he technically has, provided it wasn't an absolute abuse of the system. Right now they have a woman in her mid 20s working like 6 hours a day regularly and abusing the system, so they are gearing up to give her one last chance before she's fired. But on the whole, they would not care if he took more time than accrued if for something significant, etc.
    Last edited by brittone2; 01-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

DH gets 10 weeks of vacation a year (yes, we are very lucky)
    Zero sick days (unless it is an absolutely emergency, he can't take off for illness)
    6 holidays (I think)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

8 holidays. That's all.

He can take as many vacation or sick days as he wants, but there's no policy. The attorneys at his firm aren't given any leave. They're told to use what they need, but it's absolutely implied that they'd better not use too much, and it better come "at the right time" which is unpredictable and can change at a moment's notice. Our plans have been changed several times at the last minute, resulting in lost money and enormous frustration for us.

He ends up taking about 8-10 days off a year and all our vacations need to straddle a weekend so he's not gone a full five days in a row.

The more days he takes off, the more it impacts his billable hours and he'd just have to work more to make up for it. He works like a dog as it is, and we'd prefer to have him home more on normal days than to take more vacations.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Four weeks of vacation, all major holidays (including MLK, PD, VD) and a ton of sick time. I like my job.

Not sure about DH but he rarely actually takes time off. Maybe one week a year?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I get 1.75 vacation and sick days per payroll month. I'm an 11month employee so I get 19.25 days of vacation and sick days per year. I also get a ridiculous amount of federal holidays including election day, lincoln's birthday, washington's birthday (yes, separately), and the standards like MLK, Columbus, Veterans, etc. Since classes are in session for many of those I have to work and they accrue. That said, we don't close down during the Xmas/New Years holiday and we don't close down when students are on spring break. So any time off you want for the holidays, including the day before/after Thanksgiving you have to use vacation time for. I usually try to save up my accrued federal holidays and use them for these times. Oh, and we can use sick time for doctor and dentist appointments for personal and family which is very nice.

Now, DH on the other hand is a teacher. He gets no vacation days and very limited sick time. He gets 3 personal days but they have to be excused (you have to claim a reason) and no days can be taken the day before or day after a scheduled school vacation/holiday (so teachers can't take a longer holiday weekend for example). So he gets time off at Xmas, February break, and spring break. He gets the day after Thanksgiving and a few federal holidays. Of course he has July and August off too. So that's generous I know but not flexible at all.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

DH is military. They earn 2.5 days of leave a month which translates into 30 days a year. The catch is that weekends still count against his leave which is a bummer. Offices are closed for all the federal holidays but if there is a mission to fly then he has to fly (like he did for the entire MLK weekend). I imagine that he technically gets an endless about of sick days though since they don't count against his leave. Not that it matters he has to be pretty sick to leave work and I am home with the kids so he doesn't have to worry about them. He also got 10 days of paternity leave (including weekends).
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast