Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default UPDATE: Quick help...braces appt.

UPDATE: I took the appointment and wouldn't you know DS woke up this morning with a fever and headache so we had to cancel. All that agonizing over the decision and it didn't matter.

I met with the Orthodontist this morning to go over the treatment plan for DS1 (8). He knows he is getting braces because we did the molds, etc already. They had a cancellation for tomorrow morning and they can put the braces on then. The time is ideal and they don't have any more appointments for a few weeks. I am very anxious to get it done ASAP because his front tooth is very far forward and the dentist told us if he hits it it's very likely to get knocked out. He fell over Christmas and chipped it and I just about died.

Here is my question...Is it wrong to spring that on DS tonight? I feel like maybe I should give him more notice so he can enjoy gum, etc. before he can't have it for 8 months. WWYD?
    Last edited by lcarlson90; 01-25-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: update
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think if he is an anxious kid, it may be a problem...but if he is expecting it and isn't anxious, I'd go for it. After all...this means they'll come off sooner too.
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would take the appointment.

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post
    I would take the appointment.
    Me, too. Do it and promise him a big treat after the appointment. Sympathize that you know it's scary. FWIW, DD is also anxious, and I rarely tell her about things I know will provoke anxiety until the morning-of. She will just work herself into a tizzy. We make time for a big treat afterwards, and the whole time talk to her, "We know it's scary, but it's going to be okay. Think about _insert-reward-here_." Ice cream is usually our go-to for shots.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would take the appt., and good luck.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would do it and maybe take him out tonight for a pre braces treat and a promise of a treat tomorrow after the appointment.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am going to keep the appointment for tomorrow. I have come to the conclusion that telling him he can have gum, etc. for the next 2 weeks isn't going to make it any better/easier when he can't have it.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Make sure you give some pain meds before the appointment and into the next day. DD was super excited to get braces, but the soreness afterwards was a little more than she thought. It's over in a day or two at most, though. Helps to have ice cream or milkshakes on hand and definitely soft foods for the first few days. The actual getting the braces on part didn't hurt at all.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    Make sure you give some pain meds before the appointment and into the next day. DD was super excited to get braces, but the soreness afterwards was a little more than she thought. It's over in a day or two at most, though. Helps to have ice cream or milkshakes on hand and definitely soft foods for the first few days. The actual getting the braces on part didn't hurt at all.
    I still remember when I got my braces on. Went to one of the first appts of the day and then had to go to school for the rest of the day. I was in pain for a day or two... Do they still put the band around the back teeth to hold the wire ends? I think that was the worst part. Pushing those bands on.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would take the appointment!

I recently had my braces taken off, and second what others have said. Stay on top of the pain. It can be awful! The wax that they offer was a must in the beginning as well! Also, plan accordingly with meals. Soups, smoothies and mashed things were necessary for me for at least two days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast