Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't heard of bactroban causing the problems you are seeing. But I can say that I used it for a probable staph infection around my nostrils a few weeks ago, and it heats up and almost burns when it gets on mucus membranes. So it definitely could be causing him pain in the areas you are applying.
    mom to Billy 12/07

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    I haven't heard of bactroban causing the problems you are seeing. But I can say that I used it for a probable staph infection around my nostrils a few weeks ago, and it heats up and almost burns when it gets on mucus membranes. So it definitely could be causing him pain in the areas you are applying.
    Oh my! If he has ANY raw skin in the area that could definitely be causing pain-fueled rage.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    this makes me shiver

i left another message for the pedi derm this morning. if she doesn't call back soon... i don't know what i'll do

i'm working today, but if need be, i will just cut out and take him to our regular pedi

the problem is, to my eye, there is nothing broken or open down there. it's just...red.

but we had another major scene this morning when DH tried to change him out of his diaper.

but then also another one at breakfast for now apparent reason...nothing to do with diaper.

i am beside myself. i had prunes and oatmeal caked in my hair and dripping off my pants less than 15 minutes after i came down from showering. NOT. a good way to start the day.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    this makes me shiver

the problem is, to my eye, there is nothing broken or open down there. it's just...red.
    Red could indicate that the skin is imflamed and sensitive, and the ointment could be irritating it even more. The skin doesn't have to be broken or open for something to sting...that's a sensitive area to being with!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    this makes me shiver

i left another message for the pedi derm this morning. if she doesn't call back soon... i don't know what i'll do

i'm working today, but if need be, i will just cut out and take him to our regular pedi

but we had another major scene this morning when DH tried to change him out of his diaper.

but then also another one at breakfast for now apparent reason...nothing to do with diaper.

i am beside myself. i had prunes and oatmeal caked in my hair and dripping off my pants less than 15 minutes after i came down from showering. NOT. a good way to start the day.
    Oh your posts just make me so sad for you and your DS. I hope you find the answers you need soon. You know your son best and obviously something is not right. I think a second (and maybe third) opinion could help... different eyes and brains see and think different things! Hopefully he will be back to normal very soon.

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Red could indicate that the skin is imflamed and sensitive, and the ointment could be irritating it even more. The skin doesn't have to be broken or open for something to sting...that's a sensitive area to being with!
    Definitley - could look more like a chemical burn instead of an obvious open wound....

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

the nurse just called me back again and said the doctor said, "there is no correlation."

she said "if the pharmacist had given a cream, than maybe it could have produced slight stinging."

but with an ointment, there would be no stinging.

she said the doctor is recommending that i restart the medication.

that the risk of a staph infection is what should be of concern.

the nurse also said that maybe i should consider that DS was "just in a bad mood" for a few days.

does anyone know if a regular pedi can/would do a swab for staph in a diaper area? maybe i should just take him to our regular pedi tomorrow and start over.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Well obviously your son wasn't "just in a bad mood for a few days," I would be beyond infuriated if a nurse said that to me. Is this person a peds nurse? S/he should know better. If a baby/toddler is acting as your son was--something is WRONG. Ugh!

I do agree that the staph infection is of GREAT concern. As I said in a previous post, we have BTDT w/ a staph infection turning into an ER visit turning into a week long hospital stay. It was absolutely horrible for all three of us and something you want to avoid by any means necessary. Really. Just thinking about the nurses trying over and over to get the IVs in makes me want to throw up.

Yes, the regular ped can swab/test for staph. Ours did (it came back for MRSA).

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am frustrated for you (and feel your pain with unresolved health issues). For the diaper area, I was also wondering if your DS may have a yeast issue going on. Antibiotics, including an antibiotic cream, can lead to yeast overgrowth. The yeast cream (people here have recommended Monistat, but we use a prescription, Vusion for DD2's frequent yeast rashes) won't hurt and may help. If you are not using probiotics, I would add them (either a powder form you can add to milk or a chewable children's one). Can you schedule a follow up with the pediatric dermatologist?

DD2 has used bactriban for numerous skin infections over the years without incident.

I am sending you a PM re. another thought.

kms00 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I hope you get some relief soon. I was also thinging of yeast. My DD is the same age and was screaming with what looked like mild diaper area redness to me. We used the generic Lotrimin cream (the kind for athletes foot) and it cleared it quickly. I think the ped could reswab and hopefully you will have a more definite answer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast