Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Exclamation help! side effects of mupirocin (generic bactroban) ointment?

something is not right with DS. his level of anger and rage since Saturday night is way beyond the norm. even for him, and he has a history of a good temper.

i am desperate to figure out what might be going on.

last week we had an appt with a pedi derm - appt had been made months ago b/c of wait list. main reason to go was for rash on his face (perioral dermatitis) and eczema on his rear end.

his face, according to her looks like it's improving. good. rear end, she said to just keep slathering on thick creams. great. not very helpful, but ok.

however, a few weeks ago he had happened to have a horrid diaper rash. so i mentioned that to her. and the fact that his scrotum was still kind of red IMO.

she looked and said it didn't look bad at all, but she swabbed for a culture "just in case."

i got a call last Fri that the culture was positive for staph aureus and that she was prescribing mupirocin (generic bactroban) ointment to be put on three times a day for a week.

we started on sat morning.

then we had the bath incident on sat night. and since then, each day has been getting more and more crazy with the intensity and duration of the rages. and they come out of nowhere.

also, since mon he's had very, very loose stools.

his face and his ears are flushed throughout the day, but he has no fever.

i've googled mupirocin side effects but didn't turn up much at all

i've got a call into the doc.

but wondering if anyone here has used this, and if they noticed any strange side effects?

or do you have any other ideas of what might be going on with DS? i am beside myself.

today it took me an hour. a solid hour. to get a diaper on him after he pooped. and when it was finally on, there was poop on the walls in his room. on me. on the floor. you get the picture. it was like we went to war. i can't live like this. something is not right, but i don't know who to call. i feel like if i call my pedi, i wouldn't even know what to say i'm calling for.
    Last edited by lmh2402; 05-18-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)