Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Do you prefer gas or wood-burning fireplaces?

I have never used a wood-burning fireplace. Is it a pain/awesome? Tell me all about it!
    Last edited by arivecchi; 01-07-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Gas. No cleanup. Easy to start so more likely to use.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post

Catherine
    PLus no lingering smell. I do like wood though and wouldn't turn it down.

Beth

We have two woodburning FP - one in the living room and one in our bedroom. I don't mind the wood in the living room but I would love to convert the bedroom to gas. I never use it because who wants their bed and clothes smelling like campfire all the time? I really wish I could make it a gas on!

We have a gas starter and haven't converted to gas logs. We just burn the duraflame logs from Costco.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

wood. part of the beauty of a fp for me is alternate heat if the power goes out and I like the smell though it does bother my asthma. but, I was up in VT a couple of weeks ago and went to one of dh's cousins - he has a wood stove in a shed type thing and a line that runs the heat to the house. apparently you only load it once a day, you can put any sort of wood in there and you get no smoke in the house. no idea what its called, but seems like win/win to me. They have a 'reg' fireplace in the lv for the ambience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I was up in VT a couple of weeks ago and went to one of dh's cousins - he has a wood stove in a shed type thing and a line that runs the heat to the house. apparently you only load it once a day, you can put any sort of wood in there and you get no smoke in the house. no idea what its called, but seems like win/win to me.
    My parents had one growing up. Not sure what the correct term is for it, we called it the TB1. Ours had to be started in the morning and re-stoked in the evening, but it did keep the house nice and warm with no heat bill! My parents converted to gas heat when all of us grew up and moved out - no more live in firewood-making-helpers.

Probably partly due to my childhood experiences of making firewood (a *lot* of firewood, to heat our house all fall, winter & spring), I definitely prefer gas. We had a living room fireplace for part of my childhood, and I had an allergic reaction to the wood smoke when we used it.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have gas, and it is so easy! It still works when the power is out (the fan just doesn't run to blow the heat around more effectivly).

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post

Catherine
    Love our gas fireplace!
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

Can't beat the cozy feel of a real wood fireplace, but gas is just so much easier. We converted our wood fireplace with a gas insert. (Why are a few fake logs and blower so darn expensive!?) Anyway, miss the wood, but gas with blower really is more efficient and will heat the entire lower floor in our small house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast