Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Milk Supply While Pumping

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a bit long.

Background: I went back to work after my maternity leave 2 weeks ago. I nurse DC during her night time wake up (approx 3am), and right before I leave for work (approx 6:30am), then I pump 3 times at work (once at 9, once at 12:30 and once at 3:30). I feed DC as soon as I get home (usually 6:30 or 7) and then again right before bed (around 9). I am already taking Fenugreek on the recommendation of a LC. I EBF DC on the weekends. She gets 4 bottles/day during the week while I am gone. I drink plenty of water (10 to 12 glasses/day), I eat a healthy diet with lean protein and lots of fruits and veggies. I look at pictures of her while I pump. I do deep breathing to relax. In other words, the works.

Issue: So the first week I was back, the pumping was going fine. I was able to produce enough milk so 3.5 of her 4 bottles were breast milk. This week, Monday and Tuesday were consistent with the first week and then on Wednesday, I hit a wall. All of the sudden, I wasn't producing enough milk to even make 3 complete bottles. I just dropped from making about 14 oz/day to making 11 oz. Why is this happening and how can I make it stop? DC strongly prefers breast milk to formula and fights the formula bottles (we have tried several brands). Would it help to add a 4th pumping session? Should I up the pressure on the pump (I am using it at about 50% now)? Please help!

mg23 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I feel your pain..we have pretty much the same exact schedule, except I have had to add in extra pumping sessions after DD goes to bed at night in order to have enough BM to make the bottles for the next day. I send 3 5oz bottles to day care, but during the day I am only able to express between 10-12oz. So to get the extra 2-3oz I need for her next day's bottles, I have to pump around 10pm and then sometimes again at 4am. My doc said this much pumping is too much and that I'm nuts for waking up in the middle of the night to pump. She has suggested that I start mixing her BM bottles with a little formula, so this is what I do now.

Not sure if this helps you..but just wanted to you know that you're not alone, and the amount that you are expressing is actually pretty good compared to most women.

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was exactly like that. When I first returned to work, I had more than enough for DD and was even freeze some milk for emergencies.

After about a month, my supply decreased. I drank lots of water, brought pictures of DD to work, ate lots of oatmeal, etc. but it didn't seem to help. To provide enough milk for her, I added a pumping session at night before I went to bed (around 10:30 p.m.) and then a middle of the night session (around 2:30 a.m.). After while, I was able to drop the 2:30 a.m. pumping session, but to this day I still do the 10:30 p.m. session.

As a side note, I do think stress does impact milk supply. At one point, I was only able to pump .5 - 1.0 ounces per session and my stress level skyrocketed. I contacted La Leche and our local breastfeeding center and they both told me about the stress. I tried not to worry about it, and in the end I was able to pump more and provide enough for DD. Another thing is that AF does impact supply.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What kind of pump are you using? Who knows why your supply dropped, but there are ways to get it back up fairly quickly - just need more info.

And I wouldn't recommend increasing the suction past the level that is comfortable for you - I've never found that to increase my supply!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been back to work for a month and actually pump 4 times.

Once when I first arrive at the office (appx 7:30a), then again at 10:30, 12:30 & 2:30, leaving for home at 3:30p. Each actual pumping session is 15 minutes and my pump (the PISA) has a letdown session which I find helps production. I can even select an additional letdown session if I feel I need it.

If I skip any of the early sessions, I overflow my storage bags. If I skip my last session, I risk driving home engorged. That's 1.5 hours with traffic. Not fun.

I have 3 complete sets of pump parts (horns & connectors) in the appropriate sizes, though I may need to size up my horns for my left side again.

But, then again, I got my supply in using a pump, so maybe my body's already used to it?

FWIW, going back to work can be super-stressful. Even though I'm only in the office 1 day per week, I get anxious about leaving my munchkin and miss her like crazy 'til I pick her up. Good luck!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

this video is really great about maximizing milk production while pumping. some of it you may already be doing, but there are some great tips on how to use hand expression/compressions to get the most from each pumping session. it really helped me. kudos to you for working SO hard and pumping so much to keep your LO taking in the good stuff. it is SO difficult!! good luck!

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was just writing about this in another thread. I've had some of the same issues and I totally sympathize!

Would you feel less stressed if you knew your baby would accept a formula bottle in the unlikely event that you have an "off" pumping day? For me, just knowing that relieves pressure and helps me pump more! (And fenugreek is also helpful for me.)

Have you tried offering a bottle that's half and half breastmilk and formula? I think that might help her adjust because there's still that sweet breastmilk taste!

Of course that's not your ideal solution and of course we all continue to do everything we can to pump enough. But there are those days, you know? Some folks do need to supplement some times.

(I should say - check my advice against someone who knows more about what they're talking about than I do ... I don't pretend to be an expert! I just know this is working for me and my daughter.)

I'm using the Medela pump in style which has the let down function. DC will take formula. She just fusses about it. She was getting one 50/50 bottle last week and now we are moving to two as my supply goes down. It's just sad because I see how much she enjoys BM and how much easier she digests it. I know formula isn't bad for her and the milk I am providing is giving her the benefits she needs on the logical side of my brain. But my illogical mommy brain just feels inadequate.

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced.

I agree that you should only use the level of pressure that you're comfortable with. I am always usually close to 100%, but at times my breasts are too tender to go to that level. Perhaps you should try to experiment with different pressures?

I pump each breast separately and I find that I have to massage the breast that I am pumping to encourage my supply. Maybe massage while pumping will help you.

I've also found that it helps to switch between the stimulation/let down cycle and expression cycle several times during each session. I pump each breast anywhere between 10-20 minutes.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I understand. I think a lot of people here do!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast