Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My SIL did something similar for DN's 8th birthday. Somehow it didn't feel nearly as extravagant but we did nearly all the same things. Similar decorations, Tutus for all the girls, lots of pink fairy stuff, ect. Hers was a sleepover for about 10 little girls and one boy.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I *think* what some of the posters here are getting at is, Is this what we are doing with our time now? Because with women it seems like if one of us starts doing something, then we all start to wonder, should I be doing that too? I think that pretty much explains the popularity of scrapbooking, which IMO is a huge waste of time and money. I know a lot of women seem to enjoy it, but I also see a lot of them expressing guilt over not doing it or not doing it well or enough.

As for this particular party and blogger, I am a little creeped out by a few things:

Huge crowd at her baby's birth - I am much more private, but also had C-sections so never had to make that decision
    Favors for her child's birth???!!! Freaky and over the top.
    I find it strange that she wore makeup to give birth. To me it seems like she wanted her baby to see this perfect version of her.
    The bday party looks great in the pics. Everyone *looked* like they were having a good time. But I have been to bday parties where taking pictures was very important and frankly that drives me crazy. For me it gets in the way of enjoying the party itself. And I have seen kids who were having a good time get interrupted and herded here and there and posed for pics because the grownups want them to.

And for those who think she is so real and so heartfelt, she admits herself she is only sharing what she wants to share, so a lot is missing. Yes, her DD2's birth story is amazing to read. But I don't think I will be buying her book.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tiapam View Post
    I *think* what some of the posters here are getting at is, Is this what we are doing with our time now? Because with women it seems like if one of us starts doing something, then we all start to wonder, should I be doing that too? I think that pretty much explains the popularity of scrapbooking, which IMO is a huge waste of time and money. I know a lot of women seem to enjoy it, but I also see a lot of them expressing guilt over not doing it or not doing it well or enough.
    that may be true, but i don't think scrapbooking (or other crafts) is much different from any other hobby..yes some mothers may feel guilty about not doing it more often, but that's true about every other thing (e.g. going to the gym).

about wearing makeup after birth - i've seen a lot of ppl do this, including my own mom. some people have easy, short labors and within hours they're doing their makeup for pics. i had a long, painful labor and felt like a zombie for several days after, so no makeup for me. but kudos to those gals who did, i'm not going to judge them for it just because i didn't have it so easy.

about favors at a child's birth... my SIL had favors at the hospital for the birth of her DD last year. they were all handmade by my MIL and were leftover from her shower a month earelier. my MIL has RA and a bunch of other serious health issues which severely limit her mobility and i guessing she creating cratfy mementos were the one thing she could do for her kids/grandkids. i guess that could be considered "freaky" by some, but to each his/her own.

about pictures at parties - note that most of the pics on the blog look like they were taking before the guests even got there. and if u ask any photographer, usually the best pictures of people aren't "posed" and so getting good pictures of people at a party usually isn't that disruptive

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow, it's amazing how moms can come down hard on each other.

She enjoys planning parties. I have a couple of friends who are like this.. they derive great pleasure in planning the little details and put a lot of thought into planning unique parties at home. It's a creative outlet for them. Me, I spend money on renting out a gymnastics place or whatever. I put my energy into other things (yes, scrapbooking, which is a wonderful way to preserve memories and MY creative outlet).

Having said that, yes, at first I was taken aback because everything looks so... perfect, like something out of a magazine spread. Even the guests look beautiful, and I'm not sure that I could measure up to that standard when I attend a party- not my style Then i read further (including the birth story - wow) and realized she is a photographer and has photographer friends. Aha, now it makes sense! I have a friend who is a photographer, - she has a way of transforming the mundane and making it beautiful, and I bet this mom and her friends are like that. I can assure you that these pictures were not posed, other than the group shots.
    My artsy friends also look for the small details and have a way with putting things together. It comes to them naturally and easily.. whereas I would be a stressed out, crabby mom if I attempted anything like it.

For that reason, I don't think this is over the top. In fact, it's quite simple (no paid entertainment or jumpy house, for one thing - they ran through the sprinklers and did crafts!) and probably cost less than the parties I've hosted, but oh so beautifully arranged. That is a talent! Good for her that she still takes time to do something that she enjoys while raising a special needs baby.

As for the birth story, I thought it was very well written and "real". I, too, thought she looked way too good to have given birth, but I suppose pictures are really important to her. I was a drugged out zombie both times and looked like crap, so I can't relate But I loved what she wrote about her beautiful baby. I have a dear friend whose child was born with an unexpected severe facial birth defect, and there is a picture of her looking at the girl, shock in her eyes. I think this blogger captured what my friend must have been thinking (and mourning the loss of what she imagined).

I'm on the fence and will not come down hard on Kelle. She is amazing and has a good heart. At the same time, she seems like a bit of an exhibitionist. Take that with a grain of salt, coming from a very private person. I think she's beautiful and her life is wonderful, but I just think there is such a thing as over sharing. I feel that way about a lot of bloggers, though.

I feel like they get a little attention and they sort of become BLOGZILLA! I think it would be hard not to get caught up in the adoration and kind thoughts, but...I'm far too private to ever share my life with strangers around the world.

In regards to her party prep, etc. It was beautiful and it seems like she truly enjoys doing all that she does. That's the key. She loves what she's doing, so Go Kelle!
    I am at about a 75% level of her party planning/executions, and get lots of weird comments from Mom's etc. I have been made to feel bad over making things from scratch, doing fun crafts for teachers, having tea parties-just because. I've actually found myself bending over backwards to make the Moms that make the comments not feel bad. It's silly, really.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am at about a 75% level of her party planning/executions, and get lots of weird comments from Mom's etc. I have been made to feel bad over making things from scratch, doing fun crafts for teachers, having tea parties-just because. I've actually found myself bending over backwards to make the Moms that make the comments not feel bad. It's silly, really.
    They just feel bad or insecure that they don't have your skills Ignore them. I agree with you about bloggers in general, because I can't imagine having my life out there to share. To each her own, but I'm glad she shared that birth story because it is beautiful.

kellyd is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think it's an incredible party and one I'd love to emulate for my girls in a few years I could do most of the decorations with fabric and supplies I already own, and these are things I love doing. I think it's an amazing magical day for a little girl to remember, either by memory, or by pictures!! The party itself is a wonderful gift from mom and dad to their daughter! I think it looks so much better than all the plastic decorations we used for DS's 1st.

To the PP who asked about the earrings, they look very similar to the $5 earrings I bought a cousin that are CZ flowers, and in some of the pictures it actually looks like she's wearing those stickon fake earrings (pink ones)
    Mom to DS born June 2008 and twin DD's August 2010

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9