Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default DC Mammas....I need your advice!

We will be in Washington DC for about 4 days in mid June (DH will be working and I will be alone with our 4 & 5 year olds). What would be the best way to get around? I'm hoping to take them to the Air & Space museum and the Natural History Museum and some of the monuments. ...maybe the National Zoo...

Is there some sort of shuttle that we could take? Should I rent a car? (I did look into this and it is EXPENSIVE) or is it easy to get around by taxi? A frequent and safe city bus system? Also, how does the White House tour work? First come first serve? Make reservations ahead of time?

Any other ideas of fun and interesting ways to keep 4 & 5 year olds engaged and happy in our nation's capital?

Thanks in advance for your help!! BTW--from DC, we will be moving north to NYC and then Boston....so I'll be back to hit up for suggestions on those cities, too.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Use the Metro! There is also a Circulator Bus that goes around the Mall and covers most of the monuments & museums. I definitely would not rent a car! Where are you staying? I've heard good things about the Spy museum (F St & 7th NW). You will have more than enough activities for 4 days. Bring comfy walking shoes!

Yes, metro.

Catherine
    Posted via Mobile Device

We did a few days in DC with the kiddos. We stayed in a Marriott REsidence Inn off some circle. Had a Starbucks on the corner. Easy walk to the Metro. We took the metro everywhere. Once we took a taxi. We went to the Air and Space Museum and the zoo. (Spent about a day on each) I would NOT rent a car--total pain getting around DC.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Metro, hands down. Having a car, paying for parking at the hotel, finding parking on the street near the museums would drive you mad in about, oh, 6 minutes.

Check out www.wmata.com for maps & descriptions of the rail stations. In general, though, most of the attractions are on the Orange/Blue line (Smithsonian Museums) or the Red line (zoo). Circulator buses look clean and spiffy, though I've not ever taken one. I think the Circulator route that includes the museums may be seasonal, or only run on weekends, or limited in some way. http://www.dccirculator.com For places not readily accessible by Metrorail, taxicabs are usually easy to come by.

One off-the-beaten path attraction I'll recommend is the National Building Museum. (F Street NW between 4th and 5th Streets, Red line stop is Judiciary Square) It's a museum dedicated to building and design, but is sooo kid friendly -- big open space to run about in, a "building zone" play room and a little cafe. It's a go-to spot for DC parents and nannies esp. on rainy days.

If you're game for a day trip to Baltimore, MARC commuter rail trains run from DC (Union Station, red line on Metro) to B'more on weekdays. There's the Baltimore Aquarium and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum that might be fun, depending on your kids' interests. The inner Harbor area has lots of shops and restaurants, fun to just walk around.

Can't tell you how the White House tour works -- this DC native has never been. I'd be surprised if it were anything but first-come, first-served, though.

Have fun!!! Feel free to PM with any questions.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by dcmom2b3 View Post
    Metro, hands down. Having a car, paying for parking at the hotel, finding parking on the street near the museums would drive you mad in about, oh, 6 minutes.
    6 minutes on a good day! I agree with all pps METRO! I also think the circulator is a good idea, but have never used it. Don't confuse it with Tourmobile which is paid guided tour that you hop on and off wherever you want. Tourmobile is actually not bad, as such things go, but really unnecessary.

I think you may be too late for WH tours. The info says you have to submit a request to your Representative not less than 30 days in advance. The days of waiting in line on the Elipse ended Sept 12th.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events

In addition to the sites you've chosen, I recommend the FDR Memorial. It's beautiful, and has great fountains that the kids can play in.

I also agree re: the aquarium in Balto. It's really impressive. The aquarium on the Mall in DC is expensive, and surprisingly small and dingy. I'd skip it unless you are big sealife fans.

I think DC is one of the best cities for traveling with kids.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, Metro, no question. It's a nice, clean system and not too difficult to use. Have fun.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post

I think you may be too late for WH tours. The info says you have to submit a request to your Representative not less than 30 days in advance. The days of waiting in line on the Elipse ended Sept 12th.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events
    I actually like the capitol building tour more than the WH. The Capitol is my favorite building in DC by far and you can get tickets on line with no problem at all. http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/Visit...0a%20Tour.html And, if you do the capitol you can walk over to the Supreme Court or the Library of Congress, which are both amazing. The main reading room in the LOC is incredible.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You wouldn't want to do the WH with little children anyway. I can't figure out how anyone does, with all the restrictions. You can not bring in with you: strollers or backpacks (plus a whole list of other things), and there is no storage area to leave them.
    mom to Billy 12/07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Again, Metro. I don't live there but when I visit I feel comfortable enough on there. I just found this handy Metro navigating website for my last trip. I like it because it shows you where exactly the Metro exits and entrances are. I have gotten turned around when I got off before not knowing which way I should go either in the station or when I got out.
    http://www.stationmasters.com/

Beth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast