Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SJ mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Places near Boston

Hi! We are going to Maine this weekend. We want to stop for a break near Boston...would love to go into Boston but I am afraid of traffice...

Can anyone recommend a place outside of Boston to take a short break? Love seafood, salads, 2 kids (5y,2y) and grandparents who may all appreciate a 2 hour break....

We are headed up from NJ so going up 95 to New HAven, up 91N to 90 E and then back onto 95...thanks!!

I live right at that intersection of 90 and 95.

You could get off before you hit 95 at Natick - Route 30 and hit the Natick Collection (a big mall) area. There is a Legal Sea Foods across from the Natick Collection on Route 9 (East) and in the Natick Collection there is a Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, and California Pizza Kitchen. Around the mall there is a Bugaboo Creek (Route 30), Olive Garden (Route 9 west), and a multitude of other places like John Harvard's Brew House (Shopper's World Plaza on Route 30), Pizzaria Uno (Route 9 East), etc.

There is also a Friendly's in the mall and a Ben and Jerry's across from the mall, next to the Container Store.

The Natick Collection has a decent play space on the second floor near JC Penney. Might be good for the 2 year old to run around! There is also a Lego store and American Girl.

http://www.natickcollection.com/html/index7.asp

Or, if you want to get onto 95, you could stop off in Burlington at the Burlington Mall area - they also have a Cheesecake Factory and a Legal Sea Foods, as well as a Rainforest Cafe. I don't know as much about that area though and what the surrounding dining options are. It is about a 20 minute drive once you get off 90 and onto 95 North.

http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=146

Let me know if you have any specific questions!
    Last edited by hollybloom24; 08-19-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: more info to add!

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you want to take a real break and do something memorable, I recommend Sturbridge Village. We spend 1/2 day there (less could work too) whenever we visit relatives in NH. Here is there website. If you or DH are teachers admission is free:
    http://www.osv.org/

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would suggest stopping in Lexington or Concord where the revolutionary war started. They have some great museums and historic sites to see.

http://www.concordchamberofcommerce....itor-info2.htm

http://www.lexingtonma.gov/portal/visitors.cfm

Jessica.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would second Sturbridge, but I think going to the village is a little much. There are plenty of restaurants, a shopping plaza with a walmart, old navy, lots of cutesy stores, a great thai restaurant right near the entrance to sturbridge village, tons of restaurants. You could also save some tolls and go 91 north to 84 east and pick up the pike in sturbridge instead. Saves driving through springfield and part of hartford, and possibly some time/miles off your trip.

SJ mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

You Guys are so awesome!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by catsnkid View Post
    You could also save some tolls and go 91 north to 84 east and pick up the pike in sturbridge instead. Saves driving through springfield and part of hartford, and possibly some time/miles off your trip.
    We drive between Paramus, NJ and Boston all the time - I would do this - it is slightly shorter time and distance-wise.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'll be watching this thread b/c we'll be driving up to Maine from NJ this weekend, too!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by catsnkid View Post
    You could also save some tolls and go 91 north to 84 east and pick up the pike in sturbridge instead. Saves driving through springfield and part of hartford, and possibly some time/miles off your trip.

this definitely saves time.& tolls

we also pick up 684 in NY and go to 84 that way. its a smidge longer but saves alot of time going vs through the Bronx in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    we also pick up 684 in NY and go to 84 that way. its a smidge longer but saves alot of time going vs through the Bronx in NYC
    We do this too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast