Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dyson. Oh. My.

Default Dyson. Oh. My.

Ok, ok, I've read all the vacuum posts over the years, pulled up a few when looking for a new one at a resonable cost two year ago. DS's allergies/asthma has become progressively worse over the last two years so I decided to start hunting down a Dyson for under $200. (My brother had the same issues and he hated having hardwood in his bedroom so I've been trying to see if we can manage w/o pulling up his carpet and refinishing the floors - the Dyson was part of the plan) When sillygirl posted about the Woot! deal ($155 shipped) I decided in spite of an expensive weekend to bite the bullet and grab it.
    Holy cr*p I'm impressed.
    I've been vacuuming DS's bedroom every 2-3 days these last few weeks as allergy season kicked into high gear. I would have sworn his carpet was "clean'. This thing sucked up stuff like nobody's business. Stuff I didn't know was there. It was a pleasure to vacuum. I normally HATE vacuuming.
    I had planned to use the Dyson upstairs and use my other vacuum in the basement. There is no way I can go back to anything less than the Dyson now.
    Sigh.
    Yes. I am one of the converted. I am usually fairly practical and feel that many high end things are hyped and there are plenty of just as good mid-range substitutes.
    Dyson, I admit. You are worth EVERY penny.
    If Woot! runs the same deal again, I am getting one for my parents house where DS spends a fair amount of time.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, I'm intrigued! I always thought that it was over-hyped too. Now I want to try one, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Which model did you buy? I am in the market right now as we are moving to a house w/ carpet and haven't had it before. We hope to replace it w/ wood but not sure when we can.
    K

I'm a recent convert, too. Congrats! YOu got a great deal!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

kellyd is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Please share where you found such a deal!!! I've REALLY been wanting a Dyson since my MIL got hers.. but can't afford the $500 she spent
    Mom to DS born June 2008 and twin DD's August 2010

Was that the teal one they just ran? (Forgot the model number.) I *almost* bought that, but DH was really skeptical about a refurbished vacuum. Also about Dysons in general. But he has terrible allergies and we have dogs and a mix of hardwoods and carpet - it seems like Dysons were made for that!

Plus my Kenmore canister is really on the way out - it definitely doesn't suck as much as it used to - so I was really, really tempted. (Also DH pointed out that for less than $155 we could probably have our current vacuum serviced and it might work better. He's no fun!)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have to admit, I got a Dyson recently too (although not for as good a deal as you got). I really, really like it. I got the DC14. NOt the animal. Apparently, the only difference between the Animal version and the regular version are a couple of extra attachments. DH had been complaining that the boys' room was starting to smell like a boy's room complete with that "dirty sport sock" smell. After I vacuumed it with the Dyson, the smell was gone.

The only thing I really don't like about it is that it doesn't do a good job getting edges. You have to pull out an attachment for that. But then, NO vacuum (or stroller) has it all, in my experience.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JamiMac is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've had my DC14 for 3 years now and I just love the thing. I use mine pretty much daily, sometimes several times a day. I am constantly amazed at what it picks up from our floors. I also love that when something does get plugged up or blocked the parts are so easy to take off and fix the problem. I also love the attachment feature. It's so easy to use, and I also use it all the time. Money very well spent!
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have the purple one with lots of attachments. I've never had very good luck with it on our pergo (used as an upright) but the attachments are very powerful. My cleaner hates it because it's such a pain to vacuum upright (you have to keep chasing stuff, even on floor mode).

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh yeah, one of my best hormonal buys. (8 mo pregnant with #2 running around screaming, "Our house is a pit!") Got a recondition animal (big purple one) from Amazon refurb. After vacuuming with my old one I ran the dyson and almost fell over by the small dog I could have made with the dog hair in the canister. I love the tools. I love the fact there is no separate hose, you just pull the handle out. The tools actually really do fit on the vacuum and not fall out. Everything snaps apart so easily for maintenance and cleaning (just cleaned mine today, took a whole 5 minutes), once you get use to it very intuitive. My mom finally got a smaller one after I raved about mine for years, no she is raving about hers. Definately worth the $$ if you have animals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast