Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default 3rd Row SUV vs. MiniVan

I am pretty sure that I want a third row. Actually, I don't *want* a big, honkin' third row car at all. But, I think that I need a third row to do what I want to do after we have a new baby in September.

When ds was an infant I always sat in back with him when we went anywhere as a family (ds, me, & dh). I didn't drive much distance with him alone for quite a while, but on weekends we were always making trips to our parents' houses (1 & 2+ hours away). DS has always been pretty great in the car and whether or not that is because he had me there with him (frequently - until he was over 1), I would like to be able to be near our new infant also.

In Sept. we'll have a newborn and ds, who will be 28 months. I know that I am going to want to be able to sit in back with the new baby, as I did with ds.

HOW? Do I have to get a van?? I'm thinking ds won't be old enough to climb back into a 3rd row and get himself in his seat like older kids do. So, is it going to be me squeezing in back there and leaning over the seat to give the new baby a bottle??

I have a 2007 Volvo XC90 currently and the lease is up. I have never loved the car for various reasons so I am ready for something else, but I am afraid to make the minivan plunge. Coincidentally, we own dh's car - 2005 Honda Pilot -- which I believe has a third row, but I've never seen it. It would make the most sense financially if that were a good option, but I have no idea.

If you have a 3rd Row Suv please tell me about it. Is it hard to get back there? If you never wanted a van and now you love yours, I'd like to hear about it!

I am thinking about the Mazda CX-9 or the Buick Enclave. My first choice would probably be a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, but I have heard that the 3rd row in not very functional. I was in my friends' Acura MDX and the 3rd row looked good, but I don't know if it is hard to get in and out of it.

Sorry for the rambling & thanks for any input.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My good friend has an Enclave and loves it, but doesn't have to use the 3rd row since she just has one DC. I have two friends that got the new Chevy Traverse and love it. One with 2 kids and one with 3. They both rave about how big and nice it is to drive. One said she can sit in the 3rd row with plenty of legroom. I'm debating this (crossover vs. mini) myself...just can't decide!!! I do love the auto doors on the minis though, but love the look of crossovers.

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have used my parents MDX -
    Dad driving - DH in Front Seat-
    DS (4) backseat, DS (infant carrier) middle, Me - backseat
    3rd row - DS (13) - He hated being back there - very little legroom - hard to get in and out.

If you frequently make the 2+ hour drive, I would suggest a car with a larger back seat - if it is once a year and you can deal with the tight quarters, a smaller backseat would work for your around town trips.

LOVED using our Odyssey last week when we took a car ride -
    I was in the 3rd row with Ds in infant carrier -
    DS(4) in his usual seat - and DS (13) - in front
    Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We gave our MDX back and got a minivan.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have a Honda Ody and *I* sit in the +8 seat in the 2nd row all the time on road trips. I start the trip in the front passenger seat (DH prefers to drive) and often end up climbing back into the 2nd row to "keep the peace" between DD#1 and DD#2 (who ride outboard). We keep our 3rd row stowed and the dog's crate, as well as our luggage, is in the large cargo area.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have an 07 Explorer with a third row and I hate it. An average adult has very little legroom. I don't use the third row on a daily basis so it isn't a huge inconvenience for me. But when I have my younger sisters and nephew in the summer I hate having to fold down the seats so they can access the back row. If I could go back I would have gotten a van.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Maybe a Mazda 5?

Beth

I opted for a Mini Van. on the grounds that if i'm going to drive something that has the ability to haul that many people I'd like to be able to haul that many people and all their stuff lol. That said I've climbed into enough third rows in my life to have a preference against SUV with third row seating.

Could you please tell me why you did not love the Volvo. I just test drove it for the second time tonight and was not feeling the love either. On the way home I sat in a Lexus 470 or something at the dealership and thought I was in heaven.

We looked at cars of this size, and the Mazda CX9 and the Buick have the most leg room in the 3rd row. The Highlander and the Pilot's 3rd rows paled by comparison. I didn't check out the Acura, so I don't know on that one. I've sat in the Volvo's 3rd row, and it's pretty cramped.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast