Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So I was doing a quick google search to try to figure out how bad the magic eraser is (I'm finding conflicting stuff, but it seems that it's made of some type of melamine, and it's the texture of it that makes it work), and I came accoss a blog that claims a product called E Cloth works just as well- it's a cloth that you just use water with. They have FREE samples on their website:

http://www.e-cloth.com/tell-a-friend/

Just thought I'd share.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I'll have to check that one again. Is it only in tablet form or do they have a powder or liquid option? I only run it on "light wash" to save water (the dishes get just as clean) but those tablets would make too much soap, or so I have always guessed and thus never tried.

Beth
    I LOVE the Ecover tabs. Our dishwasher isn't anything to write home about and we use the water miser cycle and I've never had any problem with them. In fact I think they work at least as well as Cascade gel. I did not, however, care for Seventh Generation liquid or Biokleen powder.

I also LOVE the Ecover rinse-aid for the dishwasher. Works great. I've noticed no difference since switching from Jet Dry over a year ago.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've mostly switched to vinegar and water, but I really like the disposible toilet cleaners. It's totally weird for me, since we do cloth napkins, diapers, etc. But, I just hate hate hate having the icky toilet bowl brush sitting around. I've never found a good place for it that a kid won't get into it.

And, I use Scrubbing Bubbles for the shower and some times The Works in there. We have really hard water and I have to really scrub with those to get it clean. I'd love to find something else to use. I go in and open the windows and it's still not nice. any ideas?
    Kris

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Vinegar
    Baking soda
    Castille soap
    Bon Ami (like a non toxic version of Comet)
    Charlie's for laundry
    Ecover tabs for the dishwasher
    Hot water (I sometimes run a little vinegar and water through our coffee maker, and then use the hot vinegary water to clean stuff like cabinets, microwave, stovetop, etc. and it works awesome)

In a pinch, I've still had to resort to the Magic Eraser a few times.

Once DH wraps up his PhD and is employed (sigh...), I'll be hunting for a cleaning person that will use green products. There are actually several cleaning services in our area that specifically advertise willingness to do green cleaning with their supplies or yours.

BioKleen Bac Out. I use it for a lot of things... it gets the cat vomit stains out and kills the bacteria down to the pad. Its also gentle on wood surfaces so I can disinfect the cribs too.
    Have a nice day!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know how green they are but I have the Method almond wood floor cleaner and pink grapefruit Method spray that I like to use for quick clean ups and countertops. I want to try the method glass cleaner too. I still use Comet in the toilet cause my 3 boys in my house that thing doesn't smell nice for very long... it's an old apartment toilet. I did buy some TJ castille soap and I've used it a bit. For dishwashing soap I recently bought some green works in a water lily scent (I think thats what it is)... my DH keeps telling me how nice the smell is. I always used Palmolive before. For laundry we use the Method liquid and it's been alright. I bought a container of Tide and the scent it now WAY too strong for me but it sure does clean well. I am thinking we might go for some tide free and see if we can still get the good cleaning power without the smell. We're still using Bounce dryer sheets but I am thinking we might try some dryer balls and vinegar in the rinse and see how we like it? so I guess we are kinda green... I am just glad to be doing something different than the standard harsh cleaners out there.

Vinegar-Amazing! Only thing I can use on my SS fridge without major elbow grease or the bathroom for that matter. I HATE scrubbing! I can seriously use vinegar for such tasks and meerly "wipe" clean. Why theres so many "cleaners" out there I dont want to think about it. Cant imagine how anyone would switch from Vinegar. A huge bottle at Costco or Sams under $5. Ladies pick one up next time!

Bar Keepers Friend-not just for pots and pans... difficult spots, rust. I use it almost dry with very little water think thick paste.

Dove/Ivory- for hand/dishwashing soap. No citrus or scents. Better for dishes and its gentler on my hands, they tend to crack.

Cascade-No citrus or any kind of scents. Better for dishwashing/glasses. I forget what its called but every now and then I use a certain powder when I start to get dishwasher deposits.

Windex-cant find anything better. I dont know why but I havent tried vinegar yet lol! What do you guys use?

Swifter cloths for dusting.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default somewhat off-topic, but

What is the consensus on the "greeness" (sp?) of Method products? I don't like how they don't tell you exactly what's in them, but we've been using the Method SmartyDish tablets in the dishwasher and love them. Anyone know if they're any safer than your typical Cascade?
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

scrubbing bubbles is hard to resist, but i haven't used it in quite a while (a year?). baking soda and vinegar does a better job on soap scum anyway. you just have to add the ultra key green ingredient: elbow grease.

my products are:

TJ's castille soap for anything and everything
    TJ's laundry detergent (too many stains left with charlie's, even though i otherwise love it)
    TJ's dish soap (DH got dawn and it smeeeeells.)
    palmolive eco for dishes. we ran out of TJs and had to get something right away. is it awful? i haven't researched.

my "bad" products are shout spray for laundry and clorox wipes- which i kinda hate because they are chemical AND disposable... but it makes DH a lot more likely to wipe up AND i have two boys who pee all over the place and well, i will stop using them when they hit the toilet. let's just leave it at that. i NEVER use them in the kitchen. only on the potty and the sink in the bathroom.

oh- and we use orange something or other for furniture and we love it. more eco than pledge, but not sure how much.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

karolyp is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    what do you use for hand washing dishes?
    I have tried ecover (not strong enough for the grease), mrs meyers (which does work well but the smell is too strong), and earth friendly (also not strong enough for the grease). I was about to go back to dawn till I tried 7th generation, free and clear, and I LOVE it! It works just as well as dawn, but is cheaper too (atleast at my grocery store)!

I use Charlie's soap for the laundry, vinegar and water for the windows and mirrors, dr. bronner's for hand soap, and Shaklee basic H for just about everything else (hard floors, bathroom, kitchen counters, etc).

I do use clorox every once in a while, oxiclean (free and clear), and baker's magic. I should find a greener alternative to oxiclean - but I love that stuff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast