Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am using the Ecover tablets. I use regular wash, but I have a very water efficient dishwasher. I don't really know if it is available in other forms.

I do wonder about RinseAid though....
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I still use the bad guys for the bathroom - just can't give them up. I also use bleach occasionally.

But for the most part we use vinegar.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

I've gone pretty green, but I still keep a bottle of bleach around for periodic toilet cleaning, laundry or making up a bleach/water mix to wipe down the bathroom/doorhandles etc when someone is sick.

Dishwasher detergent. I'm using the Palmolive Eco stuff. Haven't found anything else that actually cleans with my crappy dishwasher.

A small bottle of Dawn.
    Kerri

I guess after all these years of being a Packers fan, I've also got to start cheering for the "Niners"...
    DD 11/09/06
    DS 06/09/09

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I clean everything with nothing but vinegar and water. I am sooooo green.

But my twice-a-month cleaning lady uses Clorox Clean-Up, Windex, Pledge, Fabuloso, Soft Scrub....... LOL. The only thing we asked her to NOT use was the Tilex since (1) DH says it kills the grout (2) it gives me the willies.
    I have to say I am glad to read this. I felt like a poser for using my homemade green products myself and then having my cleaning people use the chemical stuff.
    I actually had them use all CHCP stuff that I had made but they complained and so I just said "make me a list".
    Their list was Clorox Clean-Up, Windex, Tilex and 409.

My thing was windex. I knew they would put it on the list and I didn't want to buy it but I did anyway.

And to answer the OP question. Merlin's Magic. I spray that stuff around like it's going out of style. It's more fun since I made it myself.
    DD
    DS

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i'll have to try ecover. where can i find it?

what do you use for hand washing dishes?

i use vinegar for everything, except: palmolive for dishes (because my mom always used it), cascade for the dishwasher, tide free for laundry (woolite for the delicates), and bleach for white laundry.

but, every two weeks, my cleaning people come and use whatever chemicals they want. i open all the windows no matter how cold it is outside because i am so sensitive to the smell. dh hates when i have the windows open and the heater on high, but i can't help it.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sometimes, I have a job that really calls for a Magic Eraser. Sigh.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

I use vinegar/baking soda for week to week cleaning and it does take care of the pink stuff (which is usually pseudomonas BTW). Every 4-6 months I break out the kaboom to get the hard water deposits out of the shower/around the faucets in the sinks etc. In fact I just did yesterday. I figure it's better than using them all the time. I certainly go through much less than I did! They do have mold resistant paint/primer. We painted our bathroom with that and that's helped. I think that the only thing that really kills mold is bleach.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm still very attached to my magic erasers. My theory is they probably aren't as bad b/c at least I'm not spraying them into the air- at least I hope they aren't too horrendous! I also haven't switched over my dishwasher tabs yet, just b/c I had such a stockpile of them, but they are next on the list.

Very, very rarely, I'll use a tiny amount of diluted bleach on something like really stubborn mold, or a stain, but I try everything else first. I also still use Shout Gel on stains (does anyone know of something green that works as well? I'd gladly switch.) and every once in a while, I'll use Tide with bleach on DH's white dress shirts, b/c they tend to get kind of dingy with biokleen, which is my usual detergent.

My new favorite is TJ's castille soap- I think it works much better than vinegar (which I also use). I also really love putting a few drops of peppermint eo in whatever I'm cleaning with. I use baking soda for scouring. Those 3 things take care of just about everything. For dish soap, I use the TJ's brand- the purple one smells SO good!

My list is pretty embarassing now that I see it written out, but I figure I've improved by a LOT.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

i'll have to try ecover. where can i find it?
    I bought mine at Wegmans.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    I'm still very attached to my magic erasers. My theory is they probably aren't as bad b/c at least I'm not spraying them into the air- at least I hope they aren't too horrendous! .
    Just wash your hands really, really, really well after handling the eraser.

Beth

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast