Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A few notes that have already been mentioned:

* I had a unplanned Csec after being induced. Turns out DD had the cord around a shoulder, arm and one leg, (they discovered this when they performed the c-sec!)

* If you are tall like me, request a bed that is long enough- I am almost 6 ft tall and my legs were hanging over the end of the bed for the duration of my stay. Next time, I will see if they can get me a longer bed- when I would sit up , it would push me down....

***** ABSOLUTELY GET your STOOL softener going!!! I have never, EVER experienced so much pain in my life! And it doesn't help when you have a huge incision across your body.

* Take pain killers regularly- and get them filled ahead if possible (I like that suggestion)

*I had staples, which were removed by a student nurse, under the direction of an experienced RN. I don't know if this impacted my healing, but my incision did not heal well- I had to go to the WOUND CLINIC for 2.5 months, for them to check my incision spots, 2x per week. (The wound clinic is where the oldies go for their leg care, etc. I was always the guinea pig and the youngest patient under 80!) Finally my wounds healed!

* I agree about the catheter- have it placed after you get a spinal/epidural, if possible.
    *Take it easy.... do not lift heavy things (this may include the baby in their infant seat)- your baby needs you to rest and be well to be the momma you want to be.

*Have comfortable pants, mesh panties/appropriate undies, pads, shoes that can expand for swelling and comfort measures. I wore some sweats home... and had Birks that could be let out as far as they could go- this saved me!

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As a follow up to earlier posts -

I had staples 2x, sutures for the last one. I definitely healed better with the sutures. The staple removal was uncomfortable for me, but not painful.

With DD2, I had a terrible time getting the nurses to keep track of when my pain meds were due and/or bring me my pain meds in a timely fashion. I was alternating b/w iboprofen and lortab and could not keep track myself (did not sleep for over 48 hours due to anxiousness the night before CS, then the dreadful catheter removal issue). My pain was not managed well at all in the hospital post CS (pain control great during procedure itself).

I am now a big fan of my Itzbeen timer, which tracks diaper changes, feedings, sleep and one * button for other needs. Of course, you can use the buttons to time whatever you need. It would have been very helpful in the hospital to time pain meds and feedings. I would add that the company has great customer service.

I was also pretty much kicked out after 48 hours. I was so much happier at home and was able to manage pain much better by taking pain meds when the were due. W/ my first 2 CS, my care was much better so I enjoyed the extra help in the hospital.

As mentioned by PP, it is very helpful to have someone in the room with you. I was not physically able or at least did not trust myself to get the baby out of the bassinet for feedings.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I guess I'll throw in my .02, even though you already have a million responses. LOL

I am not a C/s fan, but I will say that as far as they go, mine was a breeze. I think the Dr. who did mine was very good at performing them, and that I'm fortunate to be a good healer. Some people are just lucky when it comes to that, and I think that is the main factor.

So having said that... I think another big part of my having an easy time with recovery was that I just didn't have any other option. DS was transferred b/c of his heart, and I wanted to be with him so desperately, that I did everything I could come up with to appear as ready as possible to be discharged. I think my "I'm fine" attitude went a long way. Kind of a "fake it until you make it" thing. I walked A LOT. When I pumped, I'd walk the BM to the nurses station to be frozen instead of buzzing for them to come get it. for example. I stayed less than 48 hours total. So, my advice is, go into it with a positive attitude, and determined that you will heal easily. It's no guarantee of course, but it can't hurt!

The pain was not that bad, but I do have a pretty high tolerance. The only pain med I took after the initial stuff they put in your IV, was ibuprofen. The worst pain was when I needed to go from lying down to sitting, or sitting to standing. If you have to do that, I rec kind of pushing in on your stomach with your arm or a pillow. Ditto for coughing/sneezing.

I also had to walk a lot once discharged b/c the childrens hospital was quite large, and I think that helped.

Inciscion-wise, I had the disolving stitches with steri strip combo. I can't say enough about it- no fuss, no muss. My scar looks amazing too (which has a lot to do with genetics, but I think the closure method was a factor too). The only complication I had was at one week when one tiny part of my inciscion split open b/c of fluid buildup. That was kind of crazy, b/c the amount of fluid that poured out was mind boggling! Seriously, it was way more than you'd imagine- maybe 1/2 cup? One of the midwives at my practice put in a little wick, and that helped it to continue draining. That part hurt a little, but wasn't too bad.

The epidural was not a big deal at all.

The fluid build up was BAD for me. Not really painful or anything, just annoying. There was no way I could wear shoes- I lived in slippers, and they had to be pretty open slippers at that!

I wish I would have asked them to keep the baby in the OR with me instead of taking him back to recovery with DH. It took a long time for them to stitch me up, and I was really sad to have missed out on all of that time with DS.

The shaking/shivering during the surgery was out of control! They piled a ton of heated blankets on me, but I still couldn't stop. Just know that it's normal if it happens to you.

I guess that's about it. Try not to stress out too badly.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

jayali is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Again, another 2 cents even though you have had a ton of really good responses.

My son was a scheduled C-section and the thing that made it really easy for me was my doctor. She knew how nervous I was so she spent my last two visits and the hour before the surgery explaining EVERYTHING that was going to happen. She was with me during prepping - even though we had done the hospital tour we did not see the OR and had she not been with me I probably would have been a little freaked out by the environment.

Definitely, Definitely, Definitely have the cath. put in after the spinal. I was the most freaked out by the thought of the cath. but to tell you the truth I didn't even feel it.

Essential to have someone with you the first 24 hours - if possible. You will be bed bound for a while (12 - 24 hours) and if you need anything you need someone by your side. My husband stayed with me and we were able to have our son with us the whole time.

Get you pain meds BEFORE they try to get you out of bed for the first time. Wish I would have known that in advance.

Buy some granny panties that come up over your belly button so nothing will rub on your incision. Bring your own pads. The ones they give you don't have the adhesive.

Definitely stool softener and gas pills. My doc wouldn't discharge me until after I had a bm.

Antibacterial soap for your incision. You won't soap it up, but will soap up your belly and let the suds run over the incision.

My doc told me to get everything waxed off - glad she did or I would have had the bic. I can't imagine anything worse then recovering from major abdominal surgery AND having that grow back from a dry shave.

A small pillow for the ride home to hold over your incision. I gave birth in NYC and if I had not had that pillow I probably wouldn't have made it home, with all of the potholes.

Also, this may sound like overkill - but plan on where you will be sitting when you get home. I mistakenly sat on our couch when I got home and getting up was hard. Sitting in chairs was much easier.

If you have a dog, then let your husband go in first. Doggie fingernails on sore abdomen is not fun.

Good luck and enjoy the entire thing.

PS. I was not strapped down and DS was with me for quite a while in recovery before they took him up to the nursery.
    Last edited by jayali; 01-15-2009 at 01:16 PM.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks so much to everyone that took the time to respond. This ended up being such a great and informative thread that I'm sure will benefit lots of mamas.
    I'm still really nervous, but I do feel a bit more prepared.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9