Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I cannot believe only ONE person has mentioned the constipation problem!!

NO ONE told me about it and I feel it's my duty to share with you, even though it's TMI.

I had a scheduled c-section on a Monday and didn't poop until Saturday, and that was after a 3 hour ordeal that included some things that...well, let's just say I can't ever divorce my husband for fear that he would share that story with other people (now I feel he's legally obligated to keep it between us).

And my tolerance for pain was low. I think that, because so many celebrities have c-sections, the perception (at least for me) was that it wasn't such a major surgery. But it was. I didn't stand up straight for probably a month. And that first time the nurse made me stand up was really hard.

Overall, though, I had a good experience - no total shaving, no arms being strapped down, DH was in there and watched the birth....the surgery went great. I do think I would have handled the post-surgery better if I had known a little more.

I hope we're not scaring you!
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

[QUOTE
    Here are some information I wish I had known for the first one:
    *Ask for anti-nausea medication prior to the csection if you had a history of vomitting when given anesthesia. I was throwing up in the middle of my 1st csection and it was because of the anesthesia. For the 2nd time around, I asked for it beforehand and I didn't have that problem.
    QUOTE]

They can also push anti-nausea meds in your IV during the surgery so don't hesitate to tell them if you begin to feel nauseated. In addition to an anesthesia reaction you may also feel more nauseated when they are moving your organs around to get to the baby!

I have had 3 sections (1unplanned, 2 planned) and recovered nicely from all. Best of luck to you!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Reading these replies is bringing back memories, and making me wonder if I forgot a few things!

Does everyone get antibiotics after a c/s? I don't remember that.

For me the c/s wasn't that bad. I didn't realize the shave was coming, but it was pretty funny to watch DS's face! They just shaved at the incision site, and with an electric razor.

There was more pressure and tugging than I expected, and I got terrible pains in my shoulders during the procedure. I guess that was from the air. They kept saying, it's just gas in your shoulders- huh?!?! It went away within a few hours, though, with the help of some heating pads. Gas pills are a good tip. Didn't really think about all that air entering!

One thing I really enjoyed about the c/s v vag delivery was that I could pee without any pain!!!! I was so afraid of that first pee b/c of the memories of how painful it was after DS was born. The nurse reminded me nothing down there was swollen or torn, so it wouldn't hurt. It was great!

My c-sec was scheduled.

I wish I would have known that the spinal was not nearly as bad as I imagined - I was making myself ill for over a week before from anxiety over it!

While the recovery hurt for a few days, it really was not terrible at all.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    ITA...

Yes, the strapping down is necessary. I was so freaked out by this and begged not to do it, but they would not do the surgery without it.

Get up and walk within 12 hours of the surgery...for some reason it cuts recovery time down.

Use the pain meds, they are there for a reason. You will heal better and faster if your pain is controlled.

No solid foods first 24 hours...my stupid hospital served me spaghetti with meat sauce....all I ate was the jello cup.
    Strapping was not necessary for #2 or #3 because I asked. It was not an issue to have tehm both free.

I'd get out at about 4 hours, if you could. DS2 was born at 4:30 am on Monday and I went home at noon on Tuesday. I was walking at 5 hours, had the IV and cath out at 12 hours and was ready.

I also ate solid, regular foods with DD and DS2 and it made a huge difference in recovery. Calories are good. I had no issues. I had clear fluids the first meal, but lunch was a turkey sandwich .
    Kris

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Two sections here,

Become good friends with the anesthieologist (sp?) I still remember Max mine from DS's delivery, Max fed me ice chips every time I answered one of his fun questions (with DD's C-section they wouldn't even let me suck on ice after I had her I man was I parched!)

I didn't expect to bleed as much, I guess I figured on less bleeding than a vaginal delivery (bring your own as the hospital pads seem to be the size of an area rug!)

I just had a tiny bit of shaving at my bikini line both times.

Buy some generic Colace (stool softener) to have at home, the name brand is so expensive but the store brand works just as well.

Have your prescription meds filled and ready for you at home (DH waited the first time till I was home, the scrip was missing something, my doc was at her son's graduation with phone off and it took hours to get the narcotic form redone, meanwhile the pain had set in.)

You can wear makeup and look pretty for pics afterward, but no contact lenses.

Good luck!

tmphilo is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I've had one planned c-section (DD was breech).

I don't think my arms were tied down during surgery. If you start to feel at all nauseous tell your anethesiologist - they can help ease the queasiness. We were allowed to take our camera in to the operating room. The anethesiologist took the first pictures of DD for us - right when she came out. Recovery wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. Make sure you get your pain medicine (and on time - a night nurse delayed mine because I was sleeping and I was in a lot of pain). Sneezing and coughing hurts for a while. Like PP, I also didn't expect to bleed as much and second the stool softener. Also, I have some nice pictures with DD after, with my hair and makeup all fixed since I knew I was just going in for surgery. They didn't make me take out my contacts - ask your anethesiologist. Oh, also I was able to hold DD after I got back to my room. My hubby came and held her next to me in the OR while they were getting me cleaned up. Take it easy for a few weeks after. Good luck!
    Last edited by tmphilo; 01-14-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You should ask about the shaving. I read an article a bit back saying they no longer advise shaving surgery patients because of the discomfort and increased risk of infection at the site. Clipping, maybe, but total shave would be something to speak up about.

Beth
    Yeah, they only gave me a "buzz" with electric trimmers, not actually "shaved" for that reason.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    ITA...

Yes, the strapping down is necessary. I was so freaked out by this and begged not to do it, but they would not do the surgery without it.
    No, it is not medically required. I have had 2 c-sections, one emergency/unplanned and one planned (well at least planned the night before when we were looking at my crazy blood pressure readings) and never have my arms been strapped down. It must vary from hospital to hospital on policy but neither hospital, including the highest risk level place in our state with pretty restrictive policies, even tried/suggested/mentioned strapping my arms. I think I would have had a heart attack had someone even tried.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Buy some generic Colace (stool softener) to have at home, the name brand is so expensive but the store brand works just as well.
    Your hospital may be able to just send this home with you. I know I was sent home with it both times and it was all rolled into the same bill/co-pay with everything else.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast