Default First b'day gift for second child who has everything

What is a special first b'day gift for a 2nd child who has everything because they have an older sibling .. even same gender too..

If the 1 yr old is playing with her 3 yr old sister's play kitchen.. is the Laugh N Learn Kitchen by fisher price a bad gift idea? I found it 1/2 off at Target.. so I picked it up.. but I'm not sure it's the best idea

I like personalized stuff. I don't know if it's "special" but I like the personalized bath towels.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I See Me -- book?
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Bad mom here but I only bought ds2 one small toy for his first birthday on the premise that he won't know. Personalized items are a good idea- maybe a hooded towel?

Beth

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can check out lollipopbookclub.com. You can send a book and a lollipop every month or just do a single (or a few) months. It's cool because the kid gets a big red envelope in the mail, addressed to them, and on the inside of the book it will have a note from you. Of course, they get to enjoy a cool looking lollipop too

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

cash.

Will a 1-y/o know that she didn't get a gift? No. Will she value the cash later in life? Yes.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

hmm..
    I don't want to do cash. This person gave my son a toy.. and I'm afraid they'll feel "weird" if I give them cash.

soooo...

I need to think of an item..

I will look up that book. I don't think I have time to get anything personalized.. (in the mail).. party is Sat.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about a t-shirt with a "1" on the front? You can get them at screenprinting places. DS1 is coming on 6 and he still wears his "5" shirt from last year.

FWIW, I would buy a first child a toy/gift for his/her first birthday. And I would gladly welcome cash (to put in savings/529) for my DD's or DS2's first (or second) birthdays and not find it awkward or chintzy at all. Our house is overrun with toys; we DO do not need any more!
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

What about a make a plate kit? DC could make their first b'day plate.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07