Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default poopy diaper wrapped in foil?

my sil told me that she wraps all her ds poopy dipes in foil and then just throw them in the trash. no smell. NO smell.

has anyone heard of this?

thanks,
    n

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It sounds like kind of a waste of foil.

Honestly, we just would wrap our diapers up snugly with their tabs (into a little ball) and toss in our kitchen trash, not putting them into a special bag or anything. As long as we took out the trash in our normal way, there was no smell.

The only smell issues we ever had with diapers was during our brief stint using a diaper genie with our older DD. I think being closed up kept all the bad smells inside and amplified them. Plus there was a tendency not to empty it until it got full.

We recently switched to cloth with our younger DD, but prior to that we were just putting diapers in reguar trash, and that was what we di with our older DD from birth to potty training, with the exception of that unsuccessful diaper genie experiment. (We thought we'd "need" one when older DD started solids, but we really didn't like it.)

Remember to flush any poop that you can easily drop off the diaper down the toilet.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The first thing that comes to my mind is that it is that much more waste in a landfill. Shaking the poop into the potty gives us the same result - no smell.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Yeah, expensive, wasteful and God forbid it gets mistaken for last nights left overs!

We just toss 'em in the trash can and empty the can every night. No stink. We'll have to find some other method when dd starts solids in 2 months.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I totally agree with the pp. Foil seems like total overkill. There are much better ways to avoid stink. Just flush the feces and empty the trash daily. In addition to being totally wasteful environmentally, seems like it's expensive to boot.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Default thansk for the reminder

it was funny to read the replies and compare them with the replies of my friends.

friends "i'll have to try" and "sounds cool" etc.

i have to admit that they are not the most environmentally friendly bunch of gals.

i am trying to be more green. thanks for reminding me. man it's tough stuff.

n

What ever happened to walking outside to the dumpster?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Spoken like a true expectant mother.....lol.....no offense irie, but it's not necessarily laziness. It's just that when the dog is barking, the baby (or in my case babies) are crying and the phone is ringing, I can't just waltz out of my house 8 times a day (or in my case 16). Believe me, a breath of fresh air would be a relief, but half the time I just can't take the time to do that.
    To be honest, I stick them on the porch, until I have a chance to take them to the can. I've also stuck old news paper around them and that does the trick too, but again, I would otherwise recycle so it may not be a better choice, ykwim?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's just so much simpler to flush the solid waste than make trips to throw out the trash all the time, imo.

Also, a mom on my baby club just learned a valuable lesson from this...she had left baby in their condo while she went to throw a stinky diaper out and got locked out of the main door to the building! Luckily she was able to find someone to buzz her in but she was in a total panic.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine
    Spoken like a true expectant mother.....lol.....no offense irie, but it's not necessarily laziness. It's just that when the dog is barking, the baby (or in my case babies) are crying and the phone is ringing, I can't just waltz out of my house 8 times a day (or in my case 16). Believe me, a breath of fresh air would be a relief, but half the time I just can't take the time to do that.
    To be honest, I stick them on the porch, until I have a chance to take them to the can. I've also stuck old news paper around them and that does the trick too, but again, I would otherwise recycle so it may not be a better choice, ykwim?
    Yeah I am still totally in the dark about things. Give me a few months and I'll be doing this stuff too. Hahaha...no actually I am hoping to do cloth diapering with a diaper service and I do wonder where I am going to put the pail so my home doesn't stink to high heavens!

I was thinking more like taking them all out at the end of the day. I think if it was me I would hang a bag on the outside back door knob and take them to the dumpster at the end of the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast