Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Mom Needs Help on CD and rash

Hi, I have a 7 week old. We have been using CD pretty much since birth (chinese prefolds and thirsties covers). I use tide free HD with extra rinse during washes. Only recently (past week), DS has developed a rash on his thighs and penis area. We took a break and used disposables to let the rash heal. Last night, we tried CD again. Within one hour, his thigh became red again.

Any ideas of what is going on? I thought it may be the diapers and detergent so I had rerinsed everything...but still he had the rash last night.

I also read some where that you can't really use any ointments with CD because it prevents the absorbing capabilities of the CD.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I used triple past with CD's I just used regular blue Dawn for a couple washes and it seemed to come out. We only use Charlies Soap for diapers and clothes here so I can say about Tide Free but I did read some "free" detergents do cause issues w/ some kids
    http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm
    tide free contains enzymes maybe thats whats causing his rash
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd try a different detergent.

It's hard to see a baby with a painful rash, I hope you get it figured out and him rash free soon.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

DS got a similar rash when we used Tide. I switched to Arm & Hammer and it's been fine since. I always do a second rinse.

Some things that you may/may not be doing that may help:

1. Make sure you're washing on the hottest setting with the most amount of water.
    2. Extra rinse (but I think you said you're doing that already.)
    3. Use only half of rec'd amount of detergent.
    4. Strip your diapers once to see if you have buildup. Google "how to strip diapers"--there's lots of places to help
    5. You may want to try a wool or fleece cover instead for more air circulation. They are much bulkier under clothing, but work great.
    6. Change detergent. The free and clears are notorious for causing rashes in some kids, but for others it's fine. We use Sport wash--available at Kroger grocery store and BioKleen. That works wonders. You can also wash with Bac-Out which is from the same company as Bio-Kleen and kills bacteria, which may be lurking in the dipes and causing the rash to reappear.
    7. It also makes a difference if you have a new HE front loader vs. top loader. The FL are much more efficient w/o so much water, but you REALLY can't use a lot of detergent. Like 1/4 of rec'd amount MAX.

HTH.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MmeSunny
    Some things that you may/may not be doing that may help:

1. Make sure you're washing on the hottest setting with the most amount of water.
    2. Extra rinse (but I think you said you're doing that already.)
    3. Use only half of rec'd amount of detergent.
    4. Strip your diapers once to see if you have buildup. Google "how to strip diapers"--there's lots of places to help
    5. You may want to try a wool or fleece cover instead for more air circulation. They are much bulkier under clothing, but work great.
    6. Change detergent. The free and clears are notorious for causing rashes in some kids, but for others it's fine. We use Sport wash--available at Kroger grocery store and BioKleen. That works wonders. You can also wash with Bac-Out which is from the same company as Bio-Kleen and kills bacteria, which may be lurking in the dipes and causing the rash to reappear.
    7. It also makes a difference if you have a new HE front loader vs. top loader. The FL are much more efficient w/o so much water, but you REALLY can't use a lot of detergent. Like 1/4 of rec'd amount MAX.

HTH.
    I found that with both charlies and sports wash I needed to use the full amout ( 1 cap full with sports wash OR the 1 tablespoon with Charlies soap) Sports wash is also available at walmart in the camping/hunting section. I used it most of the time I CD'd Nathan until I found Charlies soap.
    My wash routine is...
    Cold rinse w/ 1/2 cup ish of white vinegar (heinz brand has the least smell)
    it gets most of the stains out
    Was HOT long cycle ( my machine has a super wash cycle) I also use 1/4 to 1/2 cap of calgon water softener in myloads
    extra rinse.

On occassion I do strip my diaper w/ dawn dish soap IF you are using fitteds or prefolds I also will sometimes use a 1/2 cap of ecover fabric softener. Its recommended by the lady who owns Goodmamas diapers to keep them softer. Jack is only ( almost 4weeks) and I just did his fitteds for the first time
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Default Thanks...more question

Thank you all for your advice! I will have to try it all. I am using only 25% of the recommended HE detergent. I have a top loading HE machine. I use hot water, followed by cold rinse and another rinse. I am considering changing to bumgenius now that he weighs more. Appreciate the advice that the thirsties covers may be not breathable.

Question: Could it really be the detergent since he only has the rash on his thigh folds and penis area...it's not on the buttock. It also is only in patches instead of generalized.

Also, DS urinates a lot. I can easily change his CD every hour...do you have this problem with CD?

Look forward to your replies.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

you can cut squares of cheap fleece to use as a barrier between the diaper and the butt with the cream on. When they get gross with the diaper rash cream and won't really rinse out anymore I throw them away. The fleece also pulls moisture away from the butt.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Could it be yeast? I thought my DD had diaper rash too until it turned PURPLE and we ran to the ER. Found out it was yeast. Started out just pink and bumpy. Mainly in the skin folds. ER doc diagnosed yeast skin infection and gave us Nystatin cream. Cleared it right up.

(Well, that time. Since it's been a never-ending round of docs, derms, allergists etc, but that's a whole other post!)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by foodiezen

Question: Could it really be the detergent since he only has the rash on his thigh folds and penis area...it's not on the buttock. It also is only in patches instead of generalized.
    I have reactions to detergents but only in certain areas- like under my arms, on my inner thighs etc. So it seems like it could be detergent.

If it was yeast, I would not expect it to clear up with just disposable use. Yeast needs treatment to go away, so I would guess this is not yeast.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast