Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default magic treehouse book series?

Think they're okay for a new 5 year old? DS has been reading for nearly 2 years now so I'm even hoping he could read some of them on his own at some point this year. I know they're chapter books and longer than things he's read before, but they seem cool.

Anyone have them? I have to submit my scholastic thing this afternoon at school, I can get the whole set of them (or some complete set, there are about 10 books or something?) for $15 which is about half off I think?

Anyway, like them? Hate them? Comments?!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had them for my students 2nd grade and up. I think younger ones were reading them sometimes though. The kids loved them. Loved them. If they are too much for him to read alone, you can always read them to him or save them for when they are more appropriate.

FWIW, I think they are written here in my town...I need to research that. ETA: nope. She may now live in CT, but she went to school here and wrote a starshow exclusively for our planetarium.
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 10-17-2008 at 01:50 PM.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sarah was able to read them at the end of K on her own.

The only thing I would caution about buying the whole set is that 1) they are readily available at your library for free and 2) as the PP indicated they are VERY popular in school as reading materials. Sarah read the whole series on her own the summer between K and 1st. Well the only thing is that she had to read some of them AGAIN in 1st (and now 2nd) grade as reading materials in her classroom. I was NOT happy about that, but it is what it is.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 6 yr old niece has been reading them for a few months, so I think yes, in terms of reading ability. Not sure about content though...

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My oldest ds began reading them in 1st grade and read them all through that year. He LOVED them, as did his friends. I highly recommend them and no, I don't think 5 is too young if he's able to read them.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

not trying to hijack but I have #1 and #2 and read them to DD. She liked them (I found them boring to read out loud but they're very short).
    Would you advise leaving he others as books she will get to once she learns to read proficiently herself or don't you think it matters doing it twice (or 3 times in your experience). I'm having a hard time finding chapter books at the right level at the moment.

Lucy DD 3/03

Thanks everyone! I think maybe I'll wait on getting the whole series and maybe just get the first one (which is it?!) for his stocking or something. Then we can make it a fun trip to go to the library every time we finish one to get the next in the series...

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Would you advise leaving he others as books she will get to once she learns to read proficiently herself or don't you think it matters doing it twice (or 3 times in your experience).
    If it were me, I wouldn't do them as read alouds. It is very difficult IME to find decent chapter books for new readers to read to themselves. But I think it is very easy to find great books for adults to read to children.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber
    If it were me, I wouldn't do them as read alouds. It is very difficult IME to find decent chapter books for new readers to read to themselves. But I think it is very easy to find great books for adults to read to children.
    DD has been reading for a while now and, at least for girl, I would recommend the Mercy Watson, Rainbow Fairies, and Little House First Chapter series as ones that have worked well for us. HTH!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sunny
    mom to DD E 11/03, DS1 W 3/06, and DS2 1/09

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We just got these and a ton of those Junie B Jones books as hand-me-downs from a friend whose child is past them for quite a bit now. T is 5 and I think they are fine for him. It has been hard to find fiction chapter books for him that are at his advanced reading level and at his 5 year old boy social level. Most of the fiction he is reading is pretty easy for his reading level, but I figure he gets challenge from the non-fiction he is reading.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast