Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default OT- gardening help

We just did our lawn- put down sod, mulch & planted a few bushes and flowers. We are having two problems & I wonder if any experienced gardeners can help.
    1. Weeds are coming up between the mulch. Like, tons of weeds. When we try to pull them up they just crack. Can't get the roots out of the ground. Is there something we can use to kill the weeds that won't harm the bushes & flowers?
    2. My sod is looking very sad. We've been watering it like crazy, but went away for the weekend. Missed Saturday & Sunday, which were both hot days. Now there are brown spots cropping up all over the place. The seams of the pieces seem to be drying out as well as some entire areas. As much as I water it, it doesn't seem to help. Can dead sod be revived? Is there anything to do other than water it?
    TIA- we are completely new at gardening & really want this to work out.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

unfortuantely, the best cure for the weeds coming up through the mulch is to put down weed blocker/sheeting first- that mean you have to pull it all back up- but it does work pretty well. i have never had the guts to try the weed killers that say they will only kill weeds.
    as far as the new sod: you may be watering too much- it will also make the grass turn brown. best bet is to ask an expert at a local nursery(not home depot) about how much to water your new sod, because it varies so much from one town to the next.(as well as what the weather has been doing, and will be doing)
    good luck!!!!

btw: the weed blocker material does not need to be the most expensive, and lowes or home depot(maybe ace, also) should have the best prices.

Sounds like something's wrong with the soil underneath. Continue to water like crazy, but also consider:
    1. Testing the soil under the sod for too much acidity. You can use a topical application of alkaline lime - natural - to correct.
    2. Talk to folks at your local garden center or the place you got the sod, and don't stop talking to them until you have a couple good leads on what might be wrong and what to do about it.

Good luck!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

it sounds like a hula hoe may help with your weed problem. you push it so it goes just under the soil and brakes the roots. you can do a large area in a relatively short amount of time. it's good to do it on a sunny day so the sun kills the uprooted weeds faster (i just leave them on the ground unless there are seed heads developed).

also wet soil makes weeding easier - the roots come out better, instead of the top breaking off.

eta: you can get a hula hoe at any garden center or hardware store.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hula-Hoe-Weeding/dp/B0002XH4JU
    Last edited by urquie; 05-29-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Argh! I am so frustrated. We actually had a professional landscaper put down the sod & mulch. (Not sure how professional... he's someone DH works with & gave us a good deal.) Shouldn't he have put down the sheeting before putting in the mulch? And shouldn't he know the acidity of the local soil?
    We kinda started a trend and some of my neighbors are now doing their lawns on their own. I'm curious to see what happens- if they have the same problems we do then it must be the soil.
    ~Shanamama

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama
    Argh! I am so frustrated. We actually had a professional landscaper put down the sod & mulch. (Not sure how professional... he's someone DH works with & gave us a good deal.) Shouldn't he have put down the sheeting before putting in the mulch? And shouldn't he know the acidity of the local soil?
    We kinda started a trend and some of my neighbors are now doing their lawns on their own. I'm curious to see what happens- if they have the same problems we do then it must be the soil.
    I would think so. We did all the same work you did this spring (did it ourselves) and we definitely put down landscape fabric under the mulch - otherwise you get the exact problem you are describing. If he wasn't a true professional, he may have just literally did what you asked, as opposed to telling you what you need to get good results. We also conditioned the soil after we tilled, level the soil, then did a layer of a very fine soil conditioning mulch before laying the sod. It's only been a week, but it already looks way better than a previous attempt where we just patched an area with sod and didn't really do any prep work.

Although moving the mulch and putting down the landscape fabric would be a PITA, I think it would be worth it. I can't imagine how many old plants and weeds we'd have popping back up otherwise. Good luck - it's always frustrating to spend money and not get what you had hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsmommy
    we definitely put down landscape fabric under the mulch - otherwise you get the exact problem you are describing.
    My question is we planted some shrubs & annuals in the mulch (dug down to topsoil.) How would that work with the sheeting? Do you cut holes in it to plant thru? If I understand properly plants can't grow in mulch- they need to take root in the soil. Would I need to pull up all my bushes & impatients? No way I'm doing that! If it's only the mulch I'd consider it....
    ~Shanamama

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I hate the weed block sheeting. Hate with a passion. Our garden was landscaped by previous owner - won landscaping awards. Sections that have the sheeting are impossible to get weeds out with roots - and weeds do come through them. If you want to re-do that area, you have to cut big holes to dig up plants etc. I prefer the sections of our yard that don't have the sheeting.

Weeds - before you mulch you can put down corn gluten meal - it's a weed suppressant and needs to get raked into dirt and watered in. Then you put mulch on top. For pulling out, get a v-shaped weeding tool, it's a hand tool so you're on your knees, but you can use it to dig out the weed. Do you have enough mulch down - 2 - 3" ? I've got friends that skimp on the mulch and complain about the weeds. Grass-B-Gone - will kill grass that is coming up in your plants and not your plants. For the worst of the worst, I use round-up. I hate to use it, so it has to be a very stubborn problem area like the weed I have that grows on runners so once it's in one garden bed, it spreads and to remove I've had to dig up the entire bed. I've cut the bottom off a plastic milk jug, put that over the plant and spray through the top opening so the roundup doesn't go elsewhere. I only use chemicals maybe once/twice a year, but lately I just live with the weeds, they're a part of gardening.
    Last edited by niccig; 05-30-2008 at 01:47 AM.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama
    My question is we planted some shrubs & annuals in the mulch (dug down to topsoil.) How would that work with the sheeting? Do you cut holes in it to plant thru? If I understand properly plants can't grow in mulch- they need to take root in the soil. Would I need to pull up all my bushes & impatients? No way I'm doing that! If it's only the mulch I'd consider it....
    You have to cut the sheeting, it's why I don't like using it. You can rake the mulch off, lay down sheeting cutting holes where you need them for your current plants. For planting - yes you dig holes into the soil, so the top of the plant will be even with the top of the soil, put the plant in with extra soil around it. Then you mulch around the plant - don't push mulch right up to plant, leave a space around it. Wet mulch can cause rot if pushed up against some plants. I've got some great beginning garden books - I'll post back with titles. We were novice gardeners until a few years ago too.

Niccig, I would love to get some suggestions on great books. We too just had the front of our yard landscaped and I would love to get more involved in gardening. I don't know where to start. I don't have a great track record with live plants so any help is appreciated!
    Tracy
    Mama to Owen (6) & Kate (3)
    Baby #3 due 11.17.11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast