Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First time flying with 2- couple of ??'s

I will be flying alone for the first time with my 3-y.o. and DS2 who will be 4 months when we fly. Couple of questions:

DS1 hovers around 40 lbs, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. He is FF in a Como in our car, but I don't really want to lug it through the airport. (And, has anyone heard how this installs in a plane?) I'd love to bring his old Scenera instead, but he's sometimes over the weight limit. How set in stone is that weight limit? Does it really matter if he's 41 lbs?

DS2 won't have a seat (I know, I know). I'm pretty sure the plane will be full (though I'll try for an empty one). My mother offered to borrow an infant seat at the other end, which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with, though she would know the source. But then I wouldn't have to lug the Snugride through the airport or check it and risk damage/loss.

If I do have it, I can't imagine getting through the airport. I'm picturing DS1 walking, DS2 in a carrier, and 2 carseats piled on the stroller? Ugh. I think I'll ask for a gate pass for DH.

Thanks!
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

okay... off the top of my head....

not sure on the weight for the Scenera -but I'd say for needing a car seat - take it so you don't have to lug a heavy one.

as for getting through the airport - how is DS with a harness?
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4532497
    or even the red elmo one?

Do you have a toddler stand on stroller? haven't used one (yet) - but that would be another idea -

Then the diaper bag can sit in the basket - and you can wear the scenera on your back

haven't traveled in a while with a snugride- but would it fit in the overhead if there isn't an open seat? -- I think if your mom knows the source for the snugride - i'd go that option if the snugride won't fit in the overhead
    Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's a tough one for the Scenera issue..as for the baby..I wouldn't want to try using an unfamiliar seat for the baby at your destination...even if you don't end up with an airplane seat available at least bring your seat/stroller all the way to the gate and then gate-check your infant bucket seat and stroller so you'll have the baby transported easily enough till you board....it would be awesome if your DH was able to get a gate pass...you might have a better chance/appeal to the pity factor if you are lugging a seat for your older child too as they'll see how difficult it will be for you to get both kids/both seats through the airport... at the other end it's often easy to find a Flight attendant'kind passenger who will walk you to baggage. I'll let someone else comment on the weight limits for the Scenera... and if you could get away with bringing that as it's such a great seat for travel. The other option....try craiglist or some of the sales (mothers of multiples etc. are all having their spring sales soon) for a cheap double stroller that will fit your infant seat, you could put the older child in the second seat (or his carseat if you wanted), then sell the seat if you didn't need it later. Isn't travel fun???

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just traveled alone w/my dd (turned 4 on our trip) and then 4 month old. I even had to return a rental and take our luggage alone. Here's what I did...

Baby was in snugride using our universal carseat carrier. 4 year old's Scenera was looped over the stroller handle using the top tether. I pulled our one large suitcase w/one hand, pushed the stroller w/the other and 4 year old walked. It worked pretty slick. I wasn't able to use both carseats because our plane had 2 seats on either side so I opted to have baby in seat so I didn't have to hold her (we fly stand by and there were extra seats) and 4 year old was in aisle seat by herself w/no carseat. I checked her Scenera since we were traveling home it didn't matter if it got lost.

If you don't bring your infant seat I'd use a sling or carrier for the baby just so you have your hands at security to put everything on the belt. The infantseat will have to go through the x-ray too but at least you can do that last and the baby can stay in it while you get the other items loaded up. People were more than happy to help me fold the stroller etc. but you never know. In fact I just bought a 2007 Aria for travel simply because it's light and truly can be folded w/one hand so I could hold the baby w/one hand and fold up the stroller w/the other.

I'm also considering a Ride Safer Travel vest for my 4 year old for traveling. She is about 37 pounds and has an inch of height or so left in her Scenera. We travel a lot so it might be worth it to get. My 5 month old is about to outgrow her snugride so I'm debating getting the SS1 just for travel for her or put her in the Scenera for travel....decisions, decisions. My DH thinks I'm crazy we have so many carseats and strollers but each has it's specific use.

Good luck and yes you can get gate passes for someone to help you but they usually can't come all the way on the plane w/you. So if you bring the Scenera on the plane think about what you will do w/the baby while you install it. Not all airlines let you pre-board w/kids anymore.

Kim

Hmmm... this isn't sounding pretty. I will definitely be wearing the baby in the airport, as I think that's the easiest way to get through security. And my 3-year old will definitely walk (I think he would probably refuse to ride in a stroller), which leaves me the stroller as luggage carrier (I don't even need the stroller at my destination, but I think I need it at the airport to carry seats around!) Hopefully I can get a gate pass and will just have to get ON the plane then. I think I can install the seat with the baby in a carrier.

I definitely want DS1 to be in a carseat on the plane. I didn't think the Ride Safer was allowed on planes... is that correct? I don't want a CARES harness because DS is too close to the weight limit to be worth the $- we don't travel that much.

ETA: Does anyone know how the Como is on the plane?
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No you can't use the Ride Safer on the plane. You can rent a CARES harness on e-bay for around $15 I think. It may be worth that. I'm debting buying one or not. I feel safe w/her not in a carseat on the plane but she travels so much "nicer" in her seat. If you do that I'd be interested to know if it works well. We travel a lot so I feel it would be silly to rent one I should buy one but I'm not sold on the practicalities of it.

Yeah, I use my stroller when travel to simply haul our stuff. Well, w/the baby now it is used for her but I rarely use it at my destination. I'm sorry I'm not familiar w/the Como seat.

I'm not a tech but gosh I'd almost just use the Scenera since he's just at the weight limit. Is he too tall for it yet? The Scenera is such an awesome travel seat. I assume you'll need a seat for him at your destination?

Maybe someone else will have a better idea. I'm stumped too about a travel seat for my 4 year old when she outgrows her Scenera, which will be soon. I'm leaning toward the Rider Safe simply because I can't figure out how to manage any of the other options alone w/a baby also.

Good luck.

Kim

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

You can't use the Ridersafe on the plane, but you can use it at your destination. I have used a cares harness when we flew and didn't need a seat at the other end. My DS was 2.5 you and kept undoing the seatbelt - he finally stopped, but it was annoying. I also found that the top strap was annoying for him, but he was small and just met the height/weight requirements - you're child sounds older, s it might work. A friend uses one all the time for her eldest and loves it. I did like that we didn't have to lug the car seat. Now that's he's a year older, it might work better, but most of the time we need a carseat and he's too small for a ridersafe vest.

Well, that sounds good if I had a carsesat for my 3 y.o. on the other end, but I don't, so I need to either take the Como or the Scenera. So, what I really need to know is if he can ride in a Scenera even if he's barely over 40 lbs, or if that's absolutely not ok.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well the seat is not tested and approved for use over 40 pounds. So there is no data on it and no one is going to be able to say its OK. Its probably OK, but no one can say it will be.

I will say that if I were you, what I would do is use his Scenera RF for the baby on the plane if there is room and if not, then gate check it. At your destination, use the infant seat your mom borrows for the baby and then use the Scenera for your DS1 there.

If your mom can borrow a convertible seat for your 3 yo, thats a better solution. Then, if it were *me* I'd have DS1 just use the seat belt on the plane and use your infant seat for your baby. Again, if there's no room, then gate check the infant seat.

Just be aware that even though you are technically supposed to be able to keep the baby in a carrier through security IF the carrier does not have any metal parts, be prepared to have to take him out. You're kind of at TSA's mercy on this one.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine2
    Well, that sounds good if I had a carsesat for my 3 y.o. on the other end, but I don't, so I need to either take the Como or the Scenera. So, what I really need to know is if he can ride in a Scenera even if he's barely over 40 lbs, or if that's absolutely not ok.
    Yes, the cares harness will only work if you have a car seat at your destination or if you buy a ridersafe vest or a safeguard go, or check/gatecheck a car seat.

That's what my friend does - she uses the cares and checks her seat. I'm not comfortable checking my seat, so we still take it on. If that gets too difficult, then I would look into either the ridersafe vest or the safeguard go - both these seats have restrictions on how to use them eg. safeguard go requires a top tether. The beauty with them is that you're not lugging a car seat through the airport, but you have a safe way to harness your child in the car at your destination, and they can be used for a child that weighs over 40lbs. Note, these 2 options can't be used on the plane, they're just for the car.

Even if you use the Scenera this time for your DS, on future trips he will be over 40lbs, so you'll have to get something he can use in the car. You might want to consider one of those options for this trip and bring the Scenera for you DD.
    Eg. DS in air plane seat belt or cares harness and then ridersafe vest or safeguard go for the car
    DD in scenera on plane and then scenera in car.

If you do decide on a ridersafe vest or a safeguard go - look into to it to make sure it will work in the cars you'll be using them in and practice with them - they are different to a normal car seat. I know that Jools has used both, so she could give some help, if this is the way you choose to go.

ETA I have a Como and there is no way I would lug that through the airport - it's one heavy, bulky seat.
    Last edited by niccig; 02-24-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast