Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: IUD

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: IUD

I have the Mirena. It was inserted at 8w (I think) postpartum.

>>Specifically did you have any lasting comfort issues?
    I don't even notice that it's there.

>>How uncomfortable was it getting it put in?
    I was really, really, really, did I say really?, worried about the insertion. Pre-pg, I didn't have a problem getting a pap or anything, but the cervix checks during pregnancy almost caused tears (as in crying, not as in ripping). I was scared of insertion. Period. And...it wasn't bad at all. It was a lot more comfortable than getting checked and no worse than a pap for me. I did take tylenol beforehand and had a bit of minor cramping over the next couple of days, but it was incredibly minor.

>>Did it work? (i.e. any pregnancies?)
    So far, so good.

>>Was there any interference with your sex life (physically or libido)?
    No effect physically as far as I can tell. I don't think that it's affected my libido, but it's sort of hard to tell when I'm just pretty tired a lot of the time. It's waaaaaaaaay better for my libido than the pill was.

>>I know there are two out there, a copper one and another. What is the benefit or risks of one over the other?
    From what I was told, the Mirena has a small amount of hormones. Spotting is normal for the first who knows how long. I don't remember what the NP said, maybe 4 months?, but my spotting lasted probably closer to a year. NOW, however, I have a day or two or just a single episode of spotting (on toilet paper, not underwear) every several months and it's hard for me when I go to the doctor's and they ask when my last period was b/c I often have no clue. The copper one doesn't have hormones, but can make your periods heavier and crampier. It doesn't happen to everyone, but my periods were pretty heavy and crampy before so I didn't want to see how bad I could make them! :)

Good luck making your decision!

I got the Mirena last month. I went on the minipill at 6 wks pp, but then my period returned two weeks later, despite EBFing, so I figured I needed something more reliable, that I didn't have to take at exactly the same time every day.

>
    >Specifically did you have any lasting comfort issues?

None. I wouldn't even know it was there...

>How uncomfortable was it getting it put in?

It was more uncomfortable than I was expecting. But it was very quick, and I had very little cramping afterward. Definitely more uncomfortable than a pap for me. I have been spotting pretty much continuously since I got it, and had a period. But the spotting is very light most days, and I can deal with that way better than the minipill (or being pregnant again).

>
    >Did it work? (i.e. any pregnancies?)

None yet!

>Was there any interference with your sex life (physically or
    >libido)?

Nope.

-Ry,
    mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
    and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
    http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img]

egfmba is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Not to hijack this thread, but it's great info. I just have one more question to add:

did anyone notice an increase in vaginal discharge with the Mirena? BCPs give me a heavy discharge and I was wondering if Mirena did that for anyone.

Thanks for all the info, and Christy, thanks for asking a great question!

eva

ribbit1019 Guest

Default Thanks for all the great responses!!

My midwife requested that I be fully healed before I get the Mirena inserted. So I made my appointment for six weeks from Thursday.

I have decided to go with the Minera hormone IUD. Hopefully we won't have any complications.

Thank you so much for answering my questions so well. Your answers plus what I have researched have put my mind at ease, that this is the best way for us to go!

Christy
    My Waterbabies
    Maddy born 6/9/04
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
    &
    Jarred born 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
    http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
    Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3