Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IUD

phirey Guest

Default RE: IUD

I've had the Mirena for about 2 1/2 months and love it. Yes, I'm still spotting on occasion, but I think my periods are trying to come back, too. It is normal to have some irregularity/spotting for the first 3-6 months, but after that, you get 4 1/2 years of lighter/no bleeding.

My practice inserts tons of these, and we do not recommend the Paraguard at all. Too many women have painful, heavy periods with it and need it removed. Yes, Mirena has more early spotting, but after one year many women have no periods at all. In fact, I inserted a Mirena in my boss (an OB/GYN) even though her husband already had a vasectomy -- she was doing it solely to control her heavy bleeding.

Mirena is generally considered more effective than typical use of any other form of reversible BC because most others require patient participation -- eg pill-taking on time, perfect condom use, etc. It's even slightly more effective than vasectomy, since many men don't get the required post-vasectomy ejaculate check.

www.mirena.com has great information, including info on other methods. No, I don't work for them -- just a happy customer.

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How long will the cramping last?

I just got mirena 4 hrs ago (noon) and am still cramping pretty bad. Took 400 mg ibuprofen at 11am and just now at 4pm. I'm not sure how much i can take a day. Their website says 1-2 days, but i wonder what you all experienced.

To be honest, the insertion was pretty bad for me.
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Insertion was pretty painful for me, but the cramping was gone within 8-10 hours. I hope yours stops soon.

I have had mine for 7 months with no issues -- a little spotting for a week or two and then virtually no periods since. Although, to be fair, I'm still nursing and I'm one of those folks who rarely had a period in the 10 years I was on the BCP. This was one of the main reasons I chose to have mine inserted. My DH wants to get things taken care of permanently on his end, but I'm not entirely sure we're ready and I also wanted the benefit of no/reduced periods. My OB said that most folks who had reduced periods on the pill enjoy the lightened/absent periods with the local hormones the Mirena provides.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

I do not have any first hand experience, but I do have a driend who got pregnant a little less than a year after having hers put in.
    She was given something like a 70 percent chance of miscarriage because of the IUD, but thankfully had a healthy baby boy and no future problems.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

---Specifically did you have any lasting comfort issues?

No. My PMS is slightly worse than it used ot be recently, but there's no time correlation with the IUD, so not sure if I can blame it.

---How uncomfortable was it getting it put in?
    Like a pap test. After having given birth 6 weeks earlier, it was nothing :)

---Did it work? (i.e. any pregnancies?)
    Like a charm ;). I've never heard of any pregnancies with the (modern) IUDs.

---If you have had it removed was that overly uncomfortable?
    Not applicable, I plan to keep mine the full 10 years.

---Was there any interference with your sex life (physically or libido)?
    Nope.

---I know there are two out there, a copper one and another. What is the benefit or risks of one over the other?
    Dunno, I have the copper as that's the one my very trusted Ob/GYN at the time offered. I was all researched-out at that point, and was happy to delegate that decision.

Christy,
    I just got (2 months ago) after 6 weeks pp the IUD for essentially the same reasons you did. My only difference was I was sick of having to remember to take a pill or put on a patch. I got the copper (non-hormonal) one on the recommendation of my my OB. It was as uncomfortable as a pap smear is. No difference during sex and [knock on wood] no pregnancies. My periods are a little heavier and crampier, but I just don't know if that is specifically related to the IUD. I don't know about removal b/c that sucker is staying in for at least 2-3 years. HTH

ETA: some more info
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

jennifer13 Guest

I have the mirena. Insertion was a little rough, I think 6 weeks post-partum I just didn't want anyone messing around down there. :) But it is FAST, and once it was over I thought, "wow that was easy." I did have spotting for about a year (see previous thread), which has finally stopped. But, despite that, I have never for a moment regretted the decision. It is comfortable, my DH doesn't feel it, and it is great to not think about bc. Like you, my #2 was sooner than planned and I was NOT going to let that happen again. My OB said it was the same effectiveness as getting your tubes tied. It was the perfect non-permanant option for us.

Good luck to you and good luck with your 2 under 2! I've been there--- hope you're getting some rest.

Jennifer
    Mom to Norah 5/23/03
    and Leah 3/24/05

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Grrr. I wish I could use it. I have a very heart shaped uterus, so I cannot. :(

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Christy, I just got the Mirena a couple weeks ago!

It was easy to put in but uncomfortable. But I figured it wasn't harder than labor & having my membranes stripped! I did take 800 mg earlier that day & I cramped instantly. It was weird cause my OB told me right before she did it to expect a cramp & sure enough it came. I cramped for a couple days but no worse than my normal cramps ever were. I am spotting but it doesn't really bother me...at least not yet.

I debated a lot between the Paraguard (non hormonal) & Mirena (hormonal) & finally went with the Mirena because the thought of heavier periods & cramping every month were much worse than spotting but then lighter periods ultimately. I never was concerned about the Mirena having hormones because I never had issues on the pill & my OB said the hormones in the Mirena were localized (in the uterus) so there would be an even less chance of any hormonal issues. I have never felt the Mirena yet & the cramping only lasted a couple days. No complaints from DH with it either, so we're very satisfied so far. Good luck in your decision!
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got the Mirena a couple weeks ago. It was uncomfortable for me too but it gets better! My cramping lasted a couple days. I took 800mg of Ibuprofen a couple times the first day & then Tylenol the next day. Now I'm spotting but no more cramps. Hang in there!
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast