himom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default When do you get to buy new bras?

DS is 14 months old and he only nurses once a day, so I'm guessing he'll be weaned pretty soon. So when will I have my new "permanent" bra size?

I don't fit in my pre-pregnancy bras and I really hate my ratty old nursing/maternity bras, but I can't afford to go out and buy a whole new set then discover that I don't fit in them in three months.

Should I wait until he's completely weaned? Will it change a lot between now and then? Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Jodi
    Joshua's Mom, 2/03

June Guest

Default RE: When do you get to buy new bras?

I think this varies from woman to woman, but from my experience, I would say wait to buy the bras. DD stopped nursing around 14 months, and I was extremely surprised at the difference in my shape and size after she was weaned. It took about two weeks after stopping to get to my final and current state. Then, and only then, did I finally understand all the comments I heard from more experienced mothers and those you had gone before me. You might feel like you are getting back down to size now, but just wait! I hope you don't notice the difference I did. But in case you do, you won't waste money on bras.

Torey Guest

I was convinced that I would never go back to my old (very small) size bra. Unfortunately, less than 2 weeks after DD was weaned I was back to my very old and small self. Even though your son isn't nursing very often the milk ducts are still expanded. Once he is weaned they will shrink considerably. If you have a great variation of size like I did (C while nursing, A normally) you will definitely notice a difference. Wait until he is completely weaned to buy new bras, IMO.

cara1 Guest

Ok, so they return to their pre-pregnancy/pre-nursing size, but DH is dying to know, do they return to their previous level of perkiness? 'cuz right now I've got a pair of floppy uncooked chickens...

barbarhow Guest

From what I've heard-not weaned yet myself-but they'll be even floppier than they are now...I think that perkiness becomes a thing of the past. :-(
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

jubilee Guest

I didn't nurse my first son, but perkiness died during pregnancy anyway. Now that I am nursing my youngest, I don't expect any improvement :(

COElizabeth Guest

Yeah, I think they get even floppier. In my case, I have been spared the full brunt of the post-weaning floppiness because I got pregnant while nursing, but even still I notice the "deflation." Scares me to think what they will look like after the next baby is weaned! As Vicki Iovine says, the two words of consolation are "Wonder Bra"!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

himom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Truthfully, I'm hoping I will at least shrink down enough to get my old size back. Or, dare I hope, get even smaller.

Oh, for a C cup! :)

Jodi
    Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003