TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Allergy medication during pregnancy

Does anyone know is chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) is safe to use during pregnancy, or is it best to stick with Benadryl? I left a message for my doctor but have not yet heard back, and my eyes itch!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...s/cold-remedy/

"Mom’s use of sedating antihistamines (including Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton products) are generally regarded to be compatible with breastfeeding, but always double-check the active ingredients as they can vary greatly."

Did read that ACV is also helpful as a natural remedy if you want to try.

Seems to be the same consensus for pregnancy as well.
    Last edited by marymoo86; 05-10-2013 at 01:52 PM.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No idea about Chlor-Trimeton (had no idea that was still on the market) but I took Zyrtec with my OB's OK when I was pregnant with DD. I have horrific seasonal allergies that, if left untreated, devolve into sinus infections.

Benadryl makes me loopy and Claritin doesn't do anything.

The only one I wouldn't take while pregnant is Allegra, but I think that info is also on the packaging.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm another Zyrtec user and have taken it with all 3 dc. I'm not sure about Chlor-trimeton.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hmmm. I'm finding some weird info online. That plus what you ladies have posted makes me uncertain. Maybe I'll just stick with the Benadryl, except that means I have to go buy some.

I took Xyzal prior to this pregnancy, but I'm trying to take as few meds as possible this pregnancy (and some I cannot discontinue, ie, my blood pressure meds). So I stopped the Xyzal and I want to take something short-acting only in emergencies.

And thank you BBB mojo, because while I was typing this post, the nurse from the OB's office called and said I should stick with Benadryl. So I got my question answered all around! (Now I just have to go buy some Benadryl.)
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

it's listed in my drug book as class b, which means some studies have been done & it's considered safe with the usual ask your dr, do your benefits outweigh your risks, etc boilerplate. but for comparison, benadryl and ampicillin and acetaminophen are also all category b. most drugs are category c, which means no studies have been done, because studies on pregnant women are considered unethical and info has to be gathered retrospectively (they track women who have needed ampicillin, for instance, and track any problems). so according to the davis drug guide, it is safe as directed.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My doc had me take Chlor-Trimeton in 2010 when I was pregnant. I had congestion though not allergies.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Chlor-Trimeton was on my safe list of meds but I couldn't find it anywhere last year when I was pregnant. The pharmacist said they had pulled it off the shelf. I took Zyrtec with both pregnancies because like another poster I would have ended up with some serious sinus infections had I stopped.