Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our PTO policy is similar, although they've recently eliminated floating holidays in favor of giving us things like President's Day and Columbus Day instead.

I've been with the company 12 years this March; I get 28 PTO days. The amount of PTO you're eligible for depends on your length of service; new-hires start out with less time and earn more as they hit certain milestones.

PTO = "paid time off" and therefore includes "sick" days.

However, I've actually telecommuted some days when I'm not feeling well enough to make it into the office, but I can still function. Like last year on our return from Arizona - I was congested & coughing and felt like I was underwater due to the fact that my ears hadn't depressurized. I was functional, but just not up to driving when I felt out of balance. My boss was fine with me telecommuting instead!

ETA: DH is low-man on the totem pole at his current job. He gets 2 weeks, I think, and major holidays like Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, but he doesn't get the lesser ones.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 01-24-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

30 days PTO, 5yrs service.

I'm pretty happy with it considering I rarely get sick (knock on wood).

DH is self employed, so no sick or vacation, but he also has the flexibility to take time off as needed (though he's always tethered to email).

I get:
    9-10 federal holidays
    3-4 floating holidays (aka personal days)
    20 vacation days (started with 15, and bumped to 20 after 5 years of service)
    6 sick days

All are now use it or lose it. It used to be we could carry over 5 days of vacation, but the bean counters did away with carry over. I'm not happy about that.

Four weeks is a good start. With school holidays and whatnot, it's pretty much an absolute minimum for me.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The vacation time at my company is very generous, which is one of the reasons why I'm loath to leave.

I'm currently accruing at 22 vacation days/year
    I think I get about 13 or 14 sick days (also accrual), but I don't remember and rarely use them
    All Federal holidays plus the day after Thanksgiving (So that's 11)
    Office is closed the week between Christmas and New Years, with no need to take vacation days
    if the 4th of July is on a Tuesday or Thursday, office is shut on the Monday or Friday to make the long weekend.
    Office is closed for a week after my big annual conference.
    I get a comp day for every night I spend in a hotel for work.

I do have to work weekends and evenings on occasion, though not frequently. But I never use up my vacation time. Fortunately, it rolls over from year to year up to a point. Honestly, the only time I have ever used vacation time was for maternity leave.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I get:

8 holidays
    20 vacation days (use it or lose it)
    3 personal days
    7 sick days

I have:
    All federal holidays + day after Thanksgiving off, in the last few years we also were granted Christmas Eve and New Years eve off.
    4 weeks vacation per year, I love the fact that I can carry it over from year to year to a cap of 360 hours.
    No cap on sick leave, unless it goes into 6 + months, can use it for doctor's appointments

DH:
    No holidays off. Since he has low seniority he has been gone for all the major holidays and long weekends.
    Accrues vacation time after 1st year 2 weeks per year, but depending on his schedule for that month and how his day's off fall, he can end up with up to 2.5 week's of leave
    Accrues sick time, not sure how many hours/month.
    ~ N

DD 12/10

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post

I'm a SAHM so I have zero sick days and zero vacation days.

Catherine
    And I'm on call 24 hours, 7 days a week. I've had to parent with a broken bone, URI infections, stomach bugs.... with DH out of town, of course.

DH IIRC has 20 vacation days, about 10 holidays. No cap on sick days. He never takes most of his vacation days because they work like crazy and it's hard to fit vacation time into his schedule and projects. Also the office closes for about 1.5-2 weeks for Xmas and New Year and those days are deducted from vacation days.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 01-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I get:

10 paid holidays
    2 personal holidays
    10 days of vacation (not 14, I wish!)
    18 sick days, 5 of which can be used for sick kids

I would actually benefit from a combined PTO bank as I am rarely sick myself and my time off mostly is vacation or sick kids. Vacation carries over and using it all is frowned upon, as the powers that be prefer that you leave at least 2 days minimum in your vacation bank.
    Last edited by aa2mama; 01-24-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: changed # of vacation days
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just hit my 10 year anniversary. I get
    10 vacation days plus 5 extra days at my anniversary = 15 vacation days
    the week between Christmas and New Years we are closed ~ 5 days
    5 holidays (not including Christmas and NYE)
    1 floating holiday

DH gets whatever he wants basically. Which is usually less time off than I have.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have no PTO policy. We can take time as needed. As a lawyer, we get paid billing hours so it is a "use your best judgment" policy. On the plus side, I work in a great environment that I have learned not to stress when the unforseen happens and I still take vacation about three times a year each for a week, as well as other days off here and there.

DH just switched jobs. At his old job it was a certain number of hours off (22 days), but he worked through every vacation so he never needed to take much vacation time. He was also given 3 weeks for paternity time to use in the first year. They also gave the week between Christmas and New Years off. When he left, he was paid out all 22 days even though we had taken plenty of vacation. DH now gets 35 days off (I am not sure about sick days) plus every federal holiday. They also gave Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve off this past year. He can work from anywhere now so he does not have to take much vacation.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast