Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help! What are these symptoms? Call the Ped?

I know it's super early, I'm debating wether to call the Ped at 5 am. DS woke up with a slight fever at 10 pm, but he was cheerful and chatty. I gave him Ibuprofen to make sure it didn't get worse during the night and we could sleep. I let him stay in my bed since DH is out of town.

Then about an hour ago I hear he's restless and it sounds like he's having bad chills. Sure enough he's shaking like a leaf, but his temp (temporal artery, he won't let me take his temp any other way) is 99.9. Then he suddenly starts crying saying his stomach hurts, I went to make him some chamomile tea since I don't have anything for a tummy ache. The the crying gets worse and he says his legs hurt, both of them. he cried for a while over that. It seems to be his upper thighs. Since he's so miserable I gave him Ibuprofen again. he still says he's very cold and his legs still hurt, but the shaking is diminishing, and he finally seems to be calming down. At first he wouldn't want to move and would scream if I took the covers of him, but just now he got up himself to get his cup with water from the nightstand instead of asking me.

Anyone have any idea what this is? Should I call the Ped right now? take him to the ER? Wait until later to take him to the Ped during Sunday walk-in hours?

(Why do these thing happen when I'm alone with him? Not even my parents are In town)

ETA now he says it's his whole leg that hurts, but he's in a much better mood and not shaking anymore.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 04-01-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't call just yet if his temp is that low. Maybe his legs hurts from shaking? DH had the exact same symptoms a few weeks ago and had what I think was the flu. I'd probably either call later in the morning just to check or take him in depending on how he acts or what your gut says. If it would make you feel better, you could always call now. I hope it doesn't last too long and he gets better quick and that you don't get it. It's awful being sick and having sick kids when DH is out of town.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Poor baby and poor mama!

I'm a worry wart, so I'd call. But I call for lots of stuff. Hope he feels better soon!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

I had the flu earlier this year and had horrible leg pains on the tail end of it. So it may just be the flu. Since his temp is not that high and he is able to walk, I would wait until 7am or so to call.

Catherine

Poor guy! Sounds like typical fever/chills/body aches to me. Body aches can hurt like heck, even just touching the skin. I wouldn't worry too much and probably wouldn't call since he's perking up.
    ~Leslie

Ryan 8/00

Matthew 2/03

"We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation.It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path."~ Paulo Coelho

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sounds like the flu to me. If his temp goes higher I'd call to make an appt. Hope he feels better soon and you don't get it!
    K

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks everyone. Since he started to feel a bit better and wasn't crying anymore I held of on calling. We'll be going in to see the Ped in a while. DS just woke up with chills again and he's complaining of aches all over his body, so I'm also thinking its the flu. Poor kid he seems pretty miserable.

I hope I don't catch it, I'm 6 months PG. And DH wn't be back until Wednesday.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Poor kiddo. Fingers crossed you stay healthy! I'd be changing hand towels and washing my hands non-stop.

Catherine

Hope the ped provides a comforting diagnosis. Those symptoms would concern me too.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it is reasonable to call the ped. However, there is a flu going around with lower grade temps and the muscle aches, me and my DS just got over it. Lasted a week. If it is going around in your area your on call pediatrician should know and then we will know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast