Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

IDK, but I wonder if there are any systemic effects of a staph infection OR if something systemic is causing the staph infection. Like I said, IDK and I'm not trying to be alarmist. We've used bactroban for staph pimples in the diaper area with no problems. I asked the ped if there were any SE and she said it was very safe. Is his skin still pretty red? If it is a pain reaction, I wonder if there is some extra absorbtion of the medicine since the skin is so raw? Just throwing things out there. I agree that 1/4 cup bleach baths is great for staph and eczema.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

DD has been on and off Mupirocin for impetigo, and we haven't noticed any side effects - but that definitely doesn't mean your DS isn't having side effects! I'm so sorry and hope the pedi can help you figure this out ASAP.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks, guys

i got a call back from the nurse at the derm's office. not what i was wanting. she said to stop the ointment and the doc would call me tomorrow. i told her i already had stopped - hadn't put it on him at all today.

the whole thing is very confusing b/c if there were extreme pain in the groin area, wouldn't it be a major scene with EVERY diaper change? or bath?

sat's bath incident has seemingly resolved. last two days he's getting in with enthusiasm and splashing around. and when he had that horrible diaper rash a few weeks back, EVERY diaper change was a screaming scene. but it was clearly an "i'm in pain" scream...he was begging me to hold him and not change him. but this time he's violent and trying to attack and bite and claw me.

who knows. i've stopped the ointment. but the scrotum is still really red and i'm worried that there is still an infection.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD has used bactroban for various things sporadically for the last five years. (Diaper rash from hell, weird skin issue in the folds of her ears, and currently for an infected bug bite.) No reactions ever.

BUT - we learned over time that the diaper rash from hell was somehow related to when she teethed - she could go from totally smooth bottomed to bleeding sores within 12 hours. Stopped once last tooth was in, never to return. Wondering if something else systemic is leading to the skin issues - and the bactroban isn't treating that part of it?

I'd try the ped again, and keep pushing. In the meantime, see if there's something other than bactroban you can use, and if there's improvement.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, definitely talk this over thoroughly with the doc,b/c if there is still an infection, you don't want to partially treat it. Hopefully, the doc will have something useful to say, b/c it does sound like he's in pain.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Has he been eating any new foods, or the same certain foods for a few days? I just wonder if it's possible that it's not connected to the medicine (now that you mention he is bathing without problem).
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    thanks, guys

i got a call back from the nurse at the derm's office. not what i was wanting. she said to stop the ointment and the doc would call me tomorrow. i told her i already had stopped - hadn't put it on him at all today.

the whole thing is very confusing b/c if there were extreme pain in the groin area, wouldn't it be a major scene with EVERY diaper change? or bath?

sat's bath incident has seemingly resolved. last two days he's getting in with enthusiasm and splashing around. and when he had that horrible diaper rash a few weeks back, EVERY diaper change was a screaming scene. but it was clearly an "i'm in pain" scream...he was begging me to hold him and not change him. but this time he's violent and trying to attack and bite and claw me.

who knows. i've stopped the ointment. but the scrotum is still really red and i'm worried that there is still an infection.
    Keep pushing with your pedi. You know this isn't normal for him and your momma radar is going nuts. Don't be afraid to tell the doctor exactly how worried you are. I tend to be pretty calm and collected and "together" when I'm around others, but the few times that I've just shown how upset/worried/scared I was (Because I couldn't hold it in anymore) I've gotten more results. I've learned that sometimes I have to push and push and lay it on the line to get what I need from doctors.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

no new foods. though, he's been eating a lot of pineapple over the last couple of weeks. which i have seen sometimes bother his diaper area when he eats too much. but, we've been trying to manage the amount he eats. and in the past when he's overeaten it, it results in redness around the anus.

this red scrotum has been there for literally at least two months. in fact, it was red like this when he had his 2 year apt and at the time, our pedi said not to worry b/c it would probably go away. but it hasn't gone away at all.

as for the current situation, i did wonder if there was any link to teething. in fact, on a hunch yesterday i checked, and he does not yet have his top 2-year molars. but i didn't see any signs of them coming in any time too soon. i've asked him repeatedly if he has any pain in his mouth...or anywhere, for that matter. and he just looks at me and then says, "nope."

i'm just so sick of never knowing what the h*ll is going on with this kid.

i just want him to be better. not in pain. not with any infection. and not trying to beat the s*^t out of me all. the. time.

is that really too much to ask?
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you use probiotics? That will help with the loose stools which will help with the diaper rash. Also, lots of diaper rashes are yeast based and probiotics are helpful in ridding systemic yeast infections.

We use Mupirocin frequently for problems with infections in the pump infusion sites for DS1 (he has an insulin pump for his Diabetes). We haven't observed any problems but that certainly doesn't mean that it won't cause a problem for you!

If you can get rid of the diaper rash/staph infection without having to use something that makes your DS act out of character that would be best. I hope your ped. can give some good information about that!

I would say that we've had terrific luck with DS1 using a OTC cleanser called Hibiclens on his sites but he has not worn diapers for years. Cleansing the area of his infusion sites with Hibiclens has drastically reduced our dependence on Mupirocin BUT having a diaper there makes it a whole different kind of beast.

Best of luck!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If he has a staph infection in his skin, he likely needs oral/systemic antibiotics. DD#2 had that and it is HORRIBLY painful and VERY VERY SERIOUS.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast