DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Retin-A micro or Renova?

Does anyone use Retin-A micro or Renova? Currently, I use differin gel for my acne, but it's really drying on my skin, esp. in the winter. Wondering if a different retin-A product would work better for my dry (and also acne prone) skin. Any thoughts on Retin-A micro or Renova? I heard that insurance doesn't usually cover Renova, since it's for wrinkles, rather than acne.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I dont' have any experience with Retin-A or Renova, but I wanted to mention that Differin does come in a cream formulation. The gel is alcohol based and most likely, it's the alcohol that is drying your skin out.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Retin A is waaaaay more drying than Differin IME. I don't think I used Renova.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I used these a long time ago and I think I remember Retin A being as drying as Differin. Also, it will bleach anything you touch so if you use it, dont wipe your hands on a towel after - learned that lesson a few too many times.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by MaiseyDog View Post
    I dont' have any experience with Retin-A or Renova, but I wanted to mention that Differin does come in a cream formulation. The gel is alcohol based and most likely, it's the alcohol that is drying your skin out.
    I've heard that. Maybe I should get a script for cream differin before venturing into Retin-A. Differin works pretty well on my acne. But, it would be nice to have something that could work on both wrinkles and acne (I don't think differin does this).
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Retin A is waaaaay more drying than Differin IME. I don't think I used Renova.
    Retin-A micro is supposed to be better though. It still may be worse than differin, IDK.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

I use Retin-A micro and have used Renova (and Tazorac and Clindamycin and...maybe Differin, I can't remember). I feel your pain. You almost have to pick your battle/side effect. Sometimes I think I should do Renova in the winter and switch to Retin-A Micro in the summer. R-A Micro hasn't been drying to the point of peeling for me, though. If I were you, since it's winter, I may actually start w/the Renova, but only if insurance would cover it. If Mine did, but I have very good insurance, and I've also heard that's rare. That was a few years ago, so maybe it's changed, but I don't see why it would have. Good luck. If you discover anything helpful, please share!
    Lisa
    DS-9/13/02
    DD-12/16/05

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have had success using the lowest strength Retin A cream (not ointment) and using it only every other night. I didn't get much peeling that way. I didn't find that Differin or Retin A or any other acne med other than benyzol (sp?) peroxide bleached anything. Only the BP did that.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011