Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I just want to

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I just want to

A. Cry
    B. Scream
    C. Drink
    D. All of the above

Backstory - DD2 had been very sick with a high fever over 103 for 6 days. On day 5 we switched to Omnicef, which seemed to immediately turn her around.

Just as DD2 got better, DD1 got sick, so we went back to the pediatrician, who concluded that it was the same illness as DD2, and that she would prescribe Omnicef since it worked for DD2. Fast forward 5 long days, DD1 has not gotten much better and has been in severe pain with terrible ulcers on her throat, keeping her and us up at night.

DH has been handling medicine for DD1, but I happened to give it tonight, only to discover it was AUGMENTIN (which the pediatrician knew did NOT work for DD2) and needed to be REFRIGERATED, which it was not (because I told DH it was Omnicef and he did not check the label).

I feel just AWFUL that I did not catch the error sooner. My sweet girl has been in so much pain. We are all so exhausted and she has missed 3 days of school, not to mention our return trip today. Oh yeah, I am hosting Thanksgiving this year.

We happen to be personal friends with our pediatrician, so it makes the situation more delicate. She has been great on other issues, but SERIOUSLY. Aaaaagh!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oh no! I'm so sorry.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh poor baby! Hope she feels better soon!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Oh my goodness, how awful! I hope everyone feels better soon!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

malphy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm so sorry you are going thru this, it really does suck. My dd has been on abx for a month trying to resolve her fever and cough, very frustrating.
    Maggie
    dd 12/06

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh wow. Huge get well mojo for baby and a big twisty straw for mama!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oh no! Is there a way the nurse or pharmacist could have got the prescription wrong?

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Prayer for your daughters and family.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Oh no! Is there a way the nurse or pharmacist could have got the prescription wrong?

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Prayer for your daughters and family.
    I am pretty sure the pediatrician goofed based upon a comment during our appointment today in which she referenced Augmentin then retracted it quickly. Her comment prompted me to check the label. I think Augmentin is her normal go to antibiotic, but she specifically stated we were getting Omnicef since it worked for DD2 (and Augmentin did not work for her).

We have been very sleep deprived, but we really need to check labels more carefully, every time. Mistakes happen, which is why I feel so bad for not being more diligent this time. Ugh.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow so sorry and so happy it wasn't a worse mix up! Hope it gets better real soon!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I received a response to my email to the pediatrician and she is calling in the Omnicef. Hopefully she will now be on the fast track to recovery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast