tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default allergy/asthma sufferers....

what do you do to manage your symptoms at this time of year? what are your symptoms?

i have allergies and i'm in the process of waiting to be evaluated by a pulmonologist to see if i also have asthma. i'm having more trouble breathing but i'm wondering if its just the onset of spring allergies. i'm also feeling really fatigued. just wondering if this is normal with asthma at this time of year, or if i need to go in and get checked for a sinus infection.

tia!
    tmarie

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have allergies and I am able to manage with either zyrtec or claritin usually. I normally get sinus infections several times a year and I do feel more tired. I don't have asthma so I can't answer that part.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am struggling pretty badly right now (also have an upper respiratory issue as a result) and the doctor says Zyrtec is the best out there. Also use Flonase (generic version) which is rx.

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am on antihistamines and use the Neil Med sinus rinse when needed. I get really fatigued as well. I tried allergy shots for a little while, but they made me even more exhausted, and I just wasn't up for feeling like that and parenting at the same time! Parenting is tiring enough!

My main symptom is PND. It's so gross! Sometimes I wish I would have the leaky faucet nose, just so it was coming out of my body, but no! Since having kids I also get itchy skin and eczema-type rashes at the change of seasons. Fun fun!

GL! I hope you get some relief soon!

ETA: I currently take generic Claritin, but I'm thinking about giving Zyrtec another try. Last time I took it it made me feel really dizzy, but Claritin doesn't seem to be working as well right now. When I did take Zyrtec, I always took it at night- I take Claritin in the morning.

my allergy and asthma go hand and hand...

I use a neti pot daily to rinse the days pollen from my sinuses as soon as I get home in the evening...

I keep all doors and windows shut

when not preggers I take Zyrtec

right now I use afrin as needed to open my nasal passages

I also use a salt inhaler daily...well I'm supposed to for 20 min...more like when i remember...it helps with the mucus in the lungs...I LOVE that thing...just hard to remember to sit still to use it ...

I try to avoid the daily asthma inhaler and 911 inhaler...the steroids do bad things to me...I carry them but almost never opt for them...

instead when my chest feels tight I get some coffee or tea...or do a steam treatment

I avoid my known triggers as much as possible...

tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kdkinkade View Post
    I also use a salt inhaler daily...well I'm supposed to for 20 min...more like when i remember...it helps with the mucus in the lungs...I LOVE that thing...just hard to remember to sit still to use it ......
    I've never heard of those! Can you find them in a drug store? Thanks!

tmarie

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My allergies have been horrible this year, but it seems as if I have different symptoms than normal. My nose isn't stuffy/runny at all. I can actually breathe through it. Amazing!

This year it seems as if all of the pollen and crud in the air are affecting my breathing waaaay more than normal. My GP gave me an inhaler to use, if necessary, but I haven't needed to. It's not shortness of breath or anything, but I can just *feel* crud at times when I breathe. Very odd.

I do use a neti pot every evening and shower at night, just to help keep the pollen at bay.

ETA: I'm also pretty tired, but it's hard to know if that's a new allergy-related thing or just standard issue mommy-fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarie View Post
    I've never heard of those! Can you find them in a drug store? Thanks!

tmarie
    this is the one I have...I purchased it from the Isabella Catalog...around the same price I think...

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Himal.../dp/B000GJQQ9O

Not sure if you can find them in the drugstore....

I do think I'll purchase a plastic one for the car...I think I'll be more inclined to remember to use it sitting in traffic ...here are some others...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nhaler&x=0&y=0

I have had extensive allergies my whole life. But I don't have asthma. Spring is the worst time of year for me, and it's much worse this year than previous years. Normally I take Allegra, as well as Patanol drops for the itchy eyes. I've also tried saline sprays and neti pots but my congestion isn't really the same this year (as pp said, not in the nose as much, it's TMI for me to describe my symptoms though, trust me).

It's not uncommon to feel fatigued by allergies, or to have trouble breathing, but to NOT have asthma. It does seem to be more common for docs to prescribe an inhaler/puffer for occasional use though. I have one myself that I will use when my chest begins to sound wheezy. I don't use it often because I feel like it makes me very edgy and jittery. I also keep the windows closed (it's still fairly cool here too). I always feel much worse after I've been outside which sucks because I'm an avid cyclist.