Default can someone explain why this Kosher symbol?

I've become a little bit of an obsessive label reader and just noticed that the ancient bottle of Hershey's syrup in the back of my fridge is marked with the OU symbol (U in a circle) followed by D for dairy. Yet my scan of the ingredients turns up no dairy (lots of other yucky stuff, though! ) Am I being dense? Can someone explain?
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

The OU-D symbol is also used on a product which was prepared on the same equipment as that used to heat dairy ingredients, even if the product itself contains no dairy or derivatives. I haven't looked at the ingredient list, but I suspect that is the case with the chocolate syrup.
    Last edited by missym; 08-10-2009 at 11:03 AM.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

Thanks! That makes sense. FWIW, the ingredients are:

high fructose corn syrup
    corn syrup
    water
    cocoa
    sugar
    contains 2% or less of:
    potassium sorbate
    salt
    mono- and diglycerides
    xanthan gum
    polysorbate 60
    vanillin
    artificial flavor
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The organization that provides the OU used to use an OU-DE if the product itself was not dairy but only made on dairy equipment. This led to some confusion amongst consumers, so now they just use the OU-D regardless if it's dairy or just made on dairy equipment.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ditto the above - it is the kosher equivalent of "processed in a plant that processes milk". Other kosher certification will state dairy equipment in this case. The other thing to consider though is that there are many milk derivatives that pop up in products that you wouldn't guess. The best example is that regular 7-11 slurpees are non-dairy, but one of the flavours (diet Pepsi, I think) is dairy. Sometimes one of the ingredients is a milk derivative, in this case sodium caseinate - an agent that keeps it from freezing, since it lacks the sugar that would normally give it a less oslid freeze. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slurpee...ry_information

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014